Thread: Night crawlers

Default Night crawlers

Hi there

i have 3 American toads who I regularly feed night crawlers or repashy calcium dusted crickets. From what I’ve been hearing, night crawlers are a better staple diet for the toads so Im more inclined to feed them those instead of crickets. My question is that if I am to use crawlers as a feeder, then are they to be calcium dusted when there being served . Any help is greatly appreciated

thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Night crawlers

Quote Originally Posted by Trout hunter View Post
    Hi there

i have 3 American toads who I regularly feed night crawlers or repashy calcium dusted crickets. From what I’ve been hearing, night crawlers are a better staple diet for the toads so Im more inclined to feed them those instead of crickets. My question is that if I am to use crawlers as a feeder, then are they to be calcium dusted when there being served . Any help is greatly appreciated

thanks
    You should use both if you can because variety is key for any amphibian. They will benefit from both. You can dust the nightcrawlers that would be good to use. Also try and include other feeders such as the Waxworm with the crickets and worms. It's like a person when you make dinner you like to have sides when you eat. The waxworms fatten up an amphibian so it's best to use small amounts and to incorporate them in with the worms and crickets. Other good feeders could be butterworms and small mealworms as a side. For other staple captive feeders Dubia Roaches, Pet Store (European House Crickets), Banded Crickets and Nightcrawlers. I am revising my care sheet for this species I'll share it with you when I finish!

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

4. This member thanks Larry Wardog for this post:

Thank you very much for your post I would very much appreciate it if you did send a care sheet for a reference.

Member needs to set country!

I second that about expanding the diet. I have fed my American Toads predominantly red wigglers then night crawlers for 6 years. I dusted with calcium with every feeding as advice from a very good herp vet at a university teaching hospital. The toads have done great, but unfortunately did start showing early signs of hypovitaminosis A recently (recovering extremely well now with treatment), but that being said - I would alternate with a multivitamin powder (I use Repashy multivite), use a good gut loader for any of the feeders and offer a variety. I'll also put in a plug for my worm vendor: https://unclejimswormfarm.com/

7. This member thanks PhunkeyPhish for this post:

Thread Information