Thread: White's Tree Frog Being Very Weird!

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Blog Entries

Default White's Tree Frog Being Very Weird!

My favourite little buddy Beano decided one day that he didn't feel like eating, and ever since then I've had a difficult time getting him to eat food. In about two weeks he's eaten to crickets and looks very thin. I would get him to consume more calcium (IDK if it's needed) but he hasn't eaten for a while and previously I did give him the occasional calcium. I have lots of heat from lighting but the terrarium is long so he can go to other side of it to hide from heat if he wants to. On the other side I have a heating pad on the side as a heat source. He is very shy, especially around crickets and allows them to bully him. He doesn't sleep against the terrarium wall and transformed one night into a tomato frog and burrows under his moss. YES HE BURROWS!! Not that burrowing is wrong for a WTF but I am deeply concerned for him. What am I doing wrong!

-Yoda (Jonathan)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: White's Tree Frog Being Very Weird!

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    My favourite little buddy Beano decided one day that he didn't feel like eating, and ever since then I've had a difficult time getting him to eat food. In about two weeks he's eaten to crickets and looks very thin. I would get him to consume more calcium (IDK if it's needed) but he hasn't eaten for a while and previously I did give him the occasional calcium. I have lots of heat from lighting but the terrarium is long so he can go to other side of it to hide from heat if he wants to. On the other side I have a heating pad on the side as a heat source. He is very shy, especially around crickets and allows them to bully him. He doesn't sleep against the terrarium wall and transformed one night into a tomato frog and burrows under his moss. YES HE BURROWS!! Not that burrowing is wrong for a WTF but I am deeply concerned for him. What am I doing wrong!

-Yoda (Jonathan)
    Take the frog out and let it soak in room temp water and place a uvb light directly above it in a separate bin while it soaks for 8-12 hours. Make sure it can get the full exposure of the uvb so a 10 gallon with a uvb light on top a metal reptile lid with warm water at the bottom.

Let me know if this helps!

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Blog Entries

Thanks so much for responding!
    My local pet store told me that I don't need a UVB light source for White's tree frogs, as well as several online sources and a book source. However I have read that amphibians and reptiles need UVB, I don't know if that applies to WTFs or if that's just a general statement. My current UVB light is expired and my local pet store turned me away from bothering to get another.
    I would be happy to hear your opinion on this as I'm wondering if I still need a UVB.
    While my frog is getting worse he also uses all energy to escape from anything that he doesn't like. This includes flicking mealworms away as they approach his front legs, avoiding crickets, and if placed in water or light quickly jumps away into sheltered areas.
    Although he doesn't look healthy and hasn't eaten for like 9-10 days he isn't on his death bed but is nearing it everyday.

I hope to get responses, even if they are not all that useful they help me calm down.

Thanks, Jonathan

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Here is my care sheet for these guys
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...5&share_type=t

I believe for this species they do need it.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Blog Entries

Thanks very much, I think I better get a UVB bulb then! I will try your idea of isolating him into water with a UVB shining on him. If that's your terrarium setup on that care sheet guide then I absolutely adore it!

Thread Information