Thread: Please HELP...ASAP! I can't determine what species of frog I found.

Exclamation Please HELP...ASAP! I can't determine what species of frog I found.

Hi frog forum. I hope this gets a reply from a knowledgeable individual soon.

I was cleaning some stuff outside around the house yesterday and picked up this old rabbit tray that was laying on the ground for a while. A small frog jumped out so I decided to catch it as a pet. I was a reptile owner for over a decade but my last one (savannah monitor) died a couple years ago. I am not very new owning amphibians and reptiles (herp)

This is urgent. Mainly because my daughter has became attached to this frog way more than I expected. She would be heart broken if it didn't survive or had to be released!!

So anyway, I cannot figure out what frog this is. We live in Southern Ohio and I looked up species of small frog but could not come up with a reliable match. have to admit a lot of these midwest small frogs look similar.

I bought a 5 gal and put him in yesterday, coco coir substrate (expanded brick) and a few decorations including two small water bowls that are too shallow for him to dunk under but good for him to hang out in. Just set up his light and working on getting part of his cage to 80 degree max. I'm guessing this is about as high temps as I want for a midwest frog.

I put 4 meal worms in his enclosure last night but he hasn't touched them. I also bought very small cricket. Do you think either of these are okay food for such a small frog or do I need to order something special?

He is about an inch and a half in length right now. Already pooped twice, one in each water dish last night. I found him/her basically submerged in the small pool of water that collected in the rabbit tray. He obviously loves water a lot. If anyone could help me out here I would really appreciate it!! You would also be a huge help to my 5 year old daughter who wants nothing more than this frog to be happy lol. Thank you frog forum!

update: looks like his temp with the 40 watt incandecent topped out at 84. Also forgot to mention i haven't tried the small crickets because I know they can be jumpy and may stress him further so I'm waiting on those so far.
    Last edited by SmallAmphibian; October 2nd, 2018 at 09:17 AM. Reason: update

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Please HELP...ASAP! I can't determine what species of frog I found.

Sorry for double posts but for some reason I can't edit my original post. Just wanted to add a picture of course.

[IMG][/IMG]

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

You have a Green frog. They grow to be a rather large size, and are semi aquatic. I would suggest a very large aquarium (they are big powerful jumpers) with a secure top. I would make it one third land, two thirds water. 84f is too warm- 70-80 would be better.
    They are voracious eaters, likely to consume any live, moving prey that will fit in it's mouth. Crickets are a good start- lots of them.
    Keep in mind that this is not something that should be handled unless necessary. Little kids often try to make playthings of small pets, and a frog is unlikely to survive such activity.

It's a green frog, they are like bullfrogs except smaller, but they aren't really the best pet frogs, they're too skittish and you can't handle them. Why not make a small frog pond to attract more of them?

Wow, thank you both for the replys! Thankfully, I was able to convince my daughter that I would release him in a nearby pond "with lots of lily pads", after telling her we would buy a pacman frog and showing her pictures. She didnt take it hard and is really excited for the pacman.

So it's good I was able to release him since i really dont want to house a large frog. Hope I got him out in time. Had him captive not even 24 hours. Your right he was really skittish and his behavior made me think he was not adapting fast enough to my liking. Yes my little girl knows frogs are a look and dont touch pet generally

Thread Information