Thread: Tree frog limb regeneration

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Tree frog limb regeneration

I was reading online some tree frogs are able to regenerate entire limbs. My Cope's gray tree frog had his finger tip/suction cup severed and I was wondering if this species was able to do so. He was hiding in the top blacked out part of the aquarium and put down one finger when I opened the terrarium... I didn't noticed when closing the door and he jumped tearing off his finger tip. The injury looks good now and he's back to normal. I however still feel terrible about it. Are gray tree frogs able to regenerate?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Tree frog limb regeneration

To my knowledge, no, Gray treefrogs of any species can not regrow limbs or toes. I don't remember any treefrogs that can regrow limbs off of the top of my head, by chance do you have any links to that? I know several species of salamander and newt can, but I'm unsure about most hylids...

4. This member thanks Cliygh and Mia 2 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cliygh and Mia 2 View Post
    To my knowledge, no, Gray treefrogs of any species can not regrow limbs or toes. I don't remember any treefrogs that can regrow limbs off of the top of my head, by chance do you have any links to that? I know several species of salamander and newt can, but I'm unsure about most hylids...
    I know that native ranid frogs and bufo toads both do not regenerate limbs I had a toad missing an eye and I have a toad missing a toe still. I don't think the gray tree frog can either but if it does yes please share a link that would be cool. Just like my toads your tree frog will adapt and figure out how to live with missing the toe. As long as it's not the entire leg it's not a devastating injury and the tree frog can still hunt and still stick to the glass so don't feel too bad.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm just attached to my animals and have had that frog for months and never forgot he was up there. I slipped up one time and he got hurt. :/ I have 10-11 tanks and or enclosures going atm and I haven't had any other accidents. His toe looks good now, I don't even see the scab. Unfortunately he's missing a suction cup.

Nationality
    [United States]

I had trouble finding it again. I think they mentioned the green tree frog. Could have been bogus. Most what I read said frogs lose regeneration once becoming a frog. They can regen tails as a tadpole. That one thing just got my hopes up about him being able to grow it back. He seems to get around okay though. It was the middle finger on his left arm. The finger looks alright. No scab or anything anymore. I used neosporin on it and healed in 3-4 days. I'm just glad he's back to normal and doesn't seem to be very debilitated by it. I won't forget to check on him or get him to move again. He's back to hanging out above the door again too. I raised him from about the size of a quarter to maturity. He may be full grown now. Once he croaked I knew he was male and a cope's gray tree frog.
    Last edited by David339; September 30th, 2018 at 09:11 PM. Reason: typo/grammar

Thread Information