Thread: New to Frogs- question about terrarium temperatures

Default New to Frogs- question about terrarium temperatures

So I am new here and I am also new to frogs. Location is SE Wisconsin. I have two terrariums- one is a mini exo terra (12x12x18) that houses a single Green north american Tree Frog. The other is a small exo terra (18x18x24) that houses two juvenile Dumpy White's tree frogs.

During the daytime, I use a single heat lamp in the mini tank and two heat lamps for the small tank. The daytime temps have been around 78-85 degrees.

My question pertains to night temps. All summer long it has not been a problem. Night temps would get down to around 70-75 degrees. Now that winter is coming, my house temps are starting to drop at night. In my daughter's room, where the frogs are kept, it tends to get pretty cool at night. Its the farthest room from the furnace. This morning, I noticed the temps got down to 68 degrees. In the middle of the winter, I would not be surprised if it got to 62 degrees. I have already noticed that my green tree frog is not as active as he used to be. He tends to sleep much more and doesn't eat as much.

So, should I provide supplemental night heat? If so, how should I provide this for each of the terrariums?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: New to Frogs- question about terrarium temperatures

Quote Originally Posted by sbaugz View Post
    So I am new here and I am also new to frogs. Location is SE Wisconsin. I have two terrariums- one is a mini exo terra (12x12x18) that houses a single Green north american Tree Frog. The other is a small exo terra (18x18x24) that houses two juvenile Dumpy White's tree frogs.

During the daytime, I use a single heat lamp in the mini tank and two heat lamps for the small tank. The daytime temps have been around 78-85 degrees.

My question pertains to night temps. All summer long it has not been a problem. Night temps would get down to around 70-75 degrees. Now that winter is coming, my house temps are starting to drop at night. In my daughter's room, where the frogs are kept, it tends to get pretty cool at night. Its the farthest room from the furnace. This morning, I noticed the temps got down to 68 degrees. In the middle of the winter, I would not be surprised if it got to 62 degrees. I have already noticed that my green tree frog is not as active as he used to be. He tends to sleep much more and doesn't eat as much.

So, should I provide supplemental night heat? If so, how should I provide this for each of the terrariums?
    HI!

That does sound a bit low at least for the Whites Tree Frogs (I only know info about them.)

I personally would recommend getting a heat source during the night as that's seems pretty low.

I would recommend a heat mat, but you must purchase a thermostat controller should you use one. As they get hotter then the package claims.

Or you could use a ceramic heat emitter bulb. They put out no light so it doesn't wake your daughter up during the night, and the frogs will have the same 12 on 12 off light cycle.

I can't say what wattage to use for the heat emmiter bulb, so that it something you will have to explore.

However if you get a heat mat and thermometer you can set the max temp say 75 (night temp drops are good) and the thermostat will keep it at that for you.

You just have to decide if spending a bit more money is worth it, or if you want to guess what bulb wattage you will need throughout the winter.

I'll include some links

A popular heat mat, comes in various sizes

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002...M8L&ref=plSrch

A thermostat controller

-Controller-Germination-40-108°F/dp/B01I15S6OM/ref=pd_aw_fbt_199_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRI D=BRHSAH1WF0NNNGGEP0E5

Ceramic Heat Bulb, comes in various watts

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B071G...amic+bulb+heat

Heat Bulb Holder

https://www.amazon.com/Flukers-Repta...4DPZENAKPK16K2

Just as a reminder you will need lower watts for the smaller cage due to size, and more for the larger one.

-Alyssa

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New to Frogs- question about terrarium temperatures

Quote Originally Posted by sbaugz View Post

you do not really need anything for the green tree frog they will be fine at night with lows in the 60s that would simulate native temperature changes. The frog is probably getting ready to hibernate like the rest of them if you wish to keep it moving and active a small under tank heater on the side of the closure on the back where your backgrounds are would be beneficial. I'll ceramic heat emitter could cook your frogs was how high your tank is in the species you're keeping. Something small for the green tree frog is not a bad idea. For the whites tree frog you would definitely want to get something to warm the enclosure up because they are tropical you could once again purchase and under tank heater I'll bigger heater will produce more heat and you could also try something called The Moonlight night glow from Exo Terra it is a really good source for heat and would be good to keep at the top of the enclosure along with the Undertaker heater together which could better than just one method. You would be able to have the back of the enclosure heated and then if the Frog needs more heat it can come up higher to where the white produces more heat at the top of the enclosure. sorry for a very long response I'm using my voice command on my phone and I also could have misspelled words I just wanted to respond to you because I like your setups and wanted to help

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Thread Information