Thread: New Pacman Frog

Nationality
    [United States]

Default New Pacman Frog

Hello,

I recently got my first pacman frog, a fantasy frog. Is he/she cute! He is about the size of a quarter to a silver dollar. Seems to be eating well. I have been feeding crickets. I have read that the cricket should be the same size as the space between the eyes? Today I bought some night crawlers. At this size is it ok to cut a piece of the worm to feed?

My temperature has dropped to 74 the last few nights. It takes a while to increase to 77-80 during the day. I have a room that has the air conditioning vent shut and originally put him in that room, but that room is dark during the day, so I put him in my room for now. I have opened up the window shade to let more light in to that room now and was going to move him back this morning, but I was thinking he is settling in so well I don't want to move him just yet.

I live in Southern CA but the nights will be getting cold here soon. Do you recommend a UTH added to the side of the enclosure to keep temps up at night? Do I need a rheostat if I do this? Or do you recommend some other form of heat, heat lamp? I am considering getting a portable heater for the room as I have other reptiles in this room, but I haven't decided yet if this is the way I want to go with this. The enclosure is a 5 gallon terrarium. I have a 20 gallon tall aquarium ready for when he gets bigger.

Thank you for reading, any advice is appreciated.
    Last edited by Karen3; September 19th, 2018 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Just found the sticky for supplements!

Default Re: New Pacman Frog

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Congrats on your pacman frog. I bet he/she is adorable. Yeah, you can cut the worms up into smaller pieces to feed your frog if they will take them. Worms are far more nutritious than crickets anyways. I would also recommend dubia roaches as one roach is the nutritional equivalent to five crickets. They don't stink, bite, or make noise. Not sure about the eye rule.
    I suppose an UTH heater on the side would be fine, but I would personally use a low wattage ceramic bulb with a lamp that has a dimmer for your tank. Maybe 40 - 60 watt. Never put a heat mat underneath as it can burn your frog since they burrow.
    Plus with ceramic bulbs you can keep them warm at night and not disturn them as ceramic bulbs put off not light. Just make sure the socket is porcelain.
    I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life, freely.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you! He/she is adorable! I am so happy with him/her and happy he is eating and seems well. I tried night crawlers last night, took them well. The pieces have to be big enough for him to get ahold of without grabbing the tongs, with this big mouth I would think the prey could be a little larger, the distance between the eyes is pretty small. It was too hard to give such small pieces with tongs, a few pieces were a little larger and those went well. The pet store had no idea how long the worms will live refrigerated, do you know? I have him/her in a small 5.5 gallon terrarium. I will have to look to see if I can find a hood small enough for a CHE. Thank you so much for your reply!

4. This member thanks Karen3 for this post:

You're welcome. I am glad I could help! I believe night crawlers can live up to a week if refrigerated. I do know they will last longer if kept in the fridge.
    You are feeding them a calcium+/multi vitamin supplement right? Those are crucial to a baby frogs development.
    I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life, freely.

6. This member thanks Wart for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes, I have started with the calcium with D3 and have yet to pick up the vit.

Thread Information