Thread: Crickets VS Earthworms: New Pet Parent

Member needs to set country!

Default Crickets VS Earthworms: New Pet Parent

Hello Again,
    I just became the parent of a PacMan Frog and I'm wondering, is there is any benefit to feeding the frog Worms as opposed to crickets? For the first few days I was feeding him worms, but he stopped eating them. When I introduced crickets, he ate like a pig! I have however heard that the crickets are harder for the froglet to digest. I can't decide weather to encourage the worms, or just keep feeding him the crickets.

What do you feed your Frogs?
    Is there any real befit to feeding worms vs crickets?

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Crickets VS Earthworms: New Pet Parent

There's some nutritional differences, but honestly I do not know any and don't really feel like searching it up right now. Crickets are the main food I feed my terrestrial frogs, I feed them two to four times a week. I already scavenged out my woods so finding worms is getting harder and harder, but I feed wild worms (obviously inspecting them and drenching them for a few hours to make sure they're clean) once or twice a week. I do not know if it makes a difference feeding a variety, but I know it benefits the frog a bit even if you don't know, probably how in the wild they probably don't eat the same species of insect twice in a row.

Also if you want to feed just one type of bug, then you have to use vitamin and/or calcium powder, but I've heard that if you feed a variety of bugs you don't need to. But I'm not 100% sure, I still dust my crickets and worms every other feeding.

Earthworms are more nutritious, more filling, do not hop around, don't stink, and they do not bite. Plus, worms aren't escape artists unlike crickets. Crickets can also bite your frog while worms cannot. Never heard of crickets being hard to digest, but I do know that meal worms are and would not feed your frog meal worms.

Some pacmans can be finicky when it comes to what they like. I would keep trying to encourage him to eat the worms. If they are big you can cut them up and serve them with feeding tongs. Dubia roaches are also better than crickets. One dubia roach is the equivalent to five crickets.
    I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life, freely.

Member needs to set country!

I'm located in Ohio and all that I really have around me are PetsMart and Pet Supplies Plus. Neither of them have Dubia roaches and this is the first that I have heard of them. Do you order yours online? Or do you pick them up in a store?

Quote Originally Posted by zmorrison1992 View Post
    I'm located in Ohio and all that I really have around me are PetsMart and Pet Supplies Plus. Neither of them have Dubia roaches and this is the first that I have heard of them. Do you order yours online? Or do you pick them up in a store?
    You can get them at a store. Like an exotic pet store. You can also order them online too. Ebay, Josh's frogs, and rainbow mealworms sell dubia roaches.

You can start your own dubia colony and never have to buy roaches again. Josh's frogs also sells earthworms and other feeders. I would avoid meal worms and super worms as they have chitin and can impact your frog.

When you buu feeders online, just make sure someone is at your house to get the package.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life, freely.

Thread Information