Thread: Tree Frogs of Charlotte NC

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Tree Frogs of Charlotte NC

My relatives gave me some tadpoles from their pond in Charlotte NC. The tadpoles are turning into little frogs which I assumed to be tree frogs of some type. I was correct and there are a few starting to lose their tails. I am unsure of what type of frog species it would be. It's between Green Tree Frogs, Cope's Gray Tree Frogs, some Chorus Frogs possibly so if anyone knows which tree frogs near the Charlotte area have been breeding from August to now I would appreciate your comment!

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Tree Frogs of Charlotte NC

I'm not sure - up where I am the greys are usually much earlier than August (mine morphed out in July) - but I do have a record of raising my own Grey Tree Frogs for you to refer to: https://imgur.com/gallery/prDZi

Maybe you can compare your tadpoles and newly morphed froglets to mine - and maybe also you can let me know if you get any males!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EtTuBrute View Post
    I'm not sure - up where I am the greys are usually much earlier than August (mine morphed out in July) - but I do have a record of raising my own Grey Tree Frogs for you to refer to: https://imgur.com/gallery/prDZi

Maybe you can compare your tadpoles and newly morphed froglets to mine - and maybe also you can let me know if you get any males!
    You mean the Cope's Gray Tree Frog right? I will check your link and let you know if they look the same!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I thought that you had some good advice.
    I am going to have to wait a little longer because I'm still unclear. I'll have to get a closer look tomorrow and let you know. I'll let you know what sex I have if frogs.
    It's always tricky with native species. In my native PA setup I have native American Toads and Eastern Gray Tree Frogs that I aqquired legally and I rescued some and had some given to me. I wanted slightly older amphibians because I have the supplies needed to attempt to breed them. I'm not going to sell any and I may keep a couple to have offspring from my amphibians but the rest will be released into private areas. I had to go through a lot of legal stuff but it's going to work out. Here is my setup for my animals

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ElawrHvCWVb83S

Yeah I tried to make really detailed notes to help out anyone else looking to raise these guys!

I'm too far north for Cope's, so all mine are Easterns. It's funny to me how popular (and hard to get) Grey Treefrogs are, but they really take to captivity well and make lovely pets. The way I ended up sexing mine was that 2-3 months after leaving the water the males started talking a little bit. That part of raising the froglets was pretty stressful for me because I knew I wanted a female but I didn't know when they'd start to hit maturity (at least enough to call) - I was worried I'd have to care of six frogs for a year! - turns out it wasn't quite that bad.I kept a girl from that clutch to put with my male (ditched at a petstore by someone who didn't want him any more) and my other female (found injured in the wild). The rest of my clutch went to a collector I met on here. I thought I was done collecting frogs for a while, but my father really fell in love with mine, found a female with one eye, and now he wants a little boyfriend for her.

Your vivarium is very big - how are you going to stimulate breeding behavior? Usually I hear of people putting them out in uninsulated areas so they can get a "winter" but that has to be difficult, moving a 125 gallon viv around. Also, what did you end up doing legally? My understanding is that it's not illegal here in MA where I am to have less than six of these guys but I also know that to a degree I'm just flying under the radar.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EtTuBrute View Post
    Yeah I tried to make really detailed notes to help out anyone else looking to raise these guys!

I'm too far north for Cope's, so all mine are Easterns. It's funny to me how popular (and hard to get) Grey Treefrogs are, but they really take to captivity well and make lovely pets. The way I ended up sexing mine was that 2-3 months after leaving the water the males started talking a little bit. That part of raising the froglets was pretty stressful for me because I knew I wanted a female but I didn't know when they'd start to hit maturity (at least enough to call) - I was worried I'd have to care of six frogs for a year! - turns out it wasn't quite that bad.I kept a girl from that clutch to put with my male (ditched at a petstore by someone who didn't want him any more) and my other female (found injured in the wild). The rest of my clutch went to a collector I met on here. I thought I was done collecting frogs for a while, but my father really fell in love with mine, found a female with one eye, and now he wants a little boyfriend for her.

Your vivarium is very big - how are you going to stimulate breeding behavior? Usually I hear of people putting them out in uninsulated areas so they can get a "winter" but that has to be difficult, moving a 125 gallon viv around. Also, what did you end up doing legally? My understanding is that it's not illegal here in MA where I am to have less than six of these guys but I also know that to a degree I'm just flying under the radar.
    I actually got a mini refrigerator and I am going to place the toads and tree frogs in the refrigerator and hibernate them. That's the simple answer because I have to prep them before that too. It is important to me because for toads and tree frogs this could be a breakthrough in keeping both species as to whether or not I will be able to get them to breed in their actual setup and to see if they live longer from being able to hibernate. I contacted a biologist of the PA game commission and talked to another one about my idea. I am going to invite one person who is a member of enforcing the rules to see my setup so it has to be all together and basically I will know if this setup best simulates a good habitat for both species. Also I have a few family members with a fishing license and in PA that's what you need to keep both species. There is a lot behind it and I will have more details on it in a care sheet I'm going to create.

Thread Information