Thread: New poison dart frog!

Nationality
    [United States]

Default New poison dart frog!

Hey guys! What's going on? I'm happy to say that I went to an expo recently and I got myself a blue poison dart frog! I've wanted one of these for quite some time now and in my opinion this is easily the most gorgeous frog on Earth in terms of color. I'm also a real sucker for blue. I almost got one at a previous expo but I decided to wait until I got some more care information for which you guys have all been extremely helpful and I appreciate it so much! I'm glad I waited because this was the most beautiful one I've seen available in person so far. I might get him/her a friend eventually but for now I'm still trying to figure him/her out and get used to this kind of care. I tell you feeding hasn't been a picnic as I offered him/her three not pinhead but very small crickets that he/she was actually afraid of and didn't eat and then the next day I tried some fruit flies which I don't have any previous experience giving my animals and the frog only at one of while just acting annoyed at the others. I'm going to try some pinhead crickets today. At the very least comfort and humidity has been pretty easy and as it can be cool in my house I'm glad they like it slightly cooler. At least that's what I've heard about dart frogs. This means I now have four frogs, my pacman frog Button who my friends here on the forum have been very helpful with over the years, my two tomato frogs Roma and Beefsteak and now my dart frog who I'm calling Neptune since he/she is such a deep blue. I'm very excited to see how Neptune grows! I'm not sure how much larger he'll (I'll just go with he for now) get but he's about the size of the top half of my thumb right now. He's active and real friendly too! He crawled right out onto my hand when I put him in his new habitat! Also just in case you wanted to see I'll upload some pictures of my 3 other frogs too and put them down below.
    Name:  Neptune.JPG
Views: 84
Size:  31.6 KB

Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New poison dart frog!

Wow! Those tomato frogs look amazing. Are they difficult to keep?
    I used to think that I had to understand in order to believe, then I realized that I must believe in order to understand - Augustine

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: New poison dart frog!

Not terribly. My pacman frog sometimes likes to go on little annoying hunger strikes but the tomatoes always seem to have a healthy appetite though Roma, the yellow one, doesn't always like to eat when you're around. Crickets are the only thing I can reliably get these two to eat at this point. They like a lot of humidity which I found is easiest for all of my frogs when I put a thin sheet of plastic wrap over the lid and then mist whenever it seems to need it. They also like to have little water dishes to sit in. I'd say the most difficult thing about them is that they like to burrow completely underground sometimes and occasionally you literally have to dig them up in order to check on them. That can be a pain. It's worth it though because not only are they beautiful and charming but if you have two of them every so often you'll hear them croak.

Thread Information