Thread: Is this bloat?

Question Is this bloat?

Hey everybody, recently I got a trio of African clawed frogs in a 29 gallon aquarium. Their tank is pretty bare bones and there is a sponge filter BUT it isn't cycled however I do 75% water changes every other day, so the water quality isn't terrible but it also isn't pristine. I noticed one of the frogs is kinda puffy and I was thinking is it bloat? There is only about 15 to 18 gallons of water in the tank, should I put in 3 tablespoons of espom salt? Thanks Name:  0911182112.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  6.97 MBName:  0911182112.jpg
Size:  6.97 MBName:  0911182112a.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  5.54 MB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Re: Is this bloat?

Quote Originally Posted by otofrog View Post
    Hey everybody, recently I got a trio of African clawed frogs in a 29 gallon aquarium. Their tank is pretty bare bones and there is a sponge filter BUT it isn't cycled however I do 75% water changes every other day, so the water quality isn't terrible but it also isn't pristine. I noticed one of the frogs is kinda puffy and I was thinking is it bloat? There is only about 15 to 18 gallons of water in the tank, should I put in 3 tablespoons of espom salt? Thanks Name:  0911182112.jpg
Size:  6.97 MBName:  0911182112.jpg
Size:  6.97 MBName:  0911182112a.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  5.54 MB
    Doesnt look like bloat from here but I have a couple of suggestions, firstly cut back the water changes twice weekly @ roughly 25/30%# the reason we need to encourage good bacteria that will feed upon the frog waste #
    The nitrogen cycle describes the process whereby ammonia products(frog poo/pee which are secreted by frogs as waste, are converted by bacteria to nitrite and then into nitrate. Ammonia and nitrite are highly toxic to frogs in very low concentrations, so establishing the bacteria colonies that quickly convert these compounds to nitrate is crucial to creating a healthy environment for ffrogs.#### Nitrate are far less toxic, and can easily be removed through periodic water changes or consumption by live plants.
    we need the conversion to Nitrate as its less harful than NITRITE, to many water changes or to much will not allow correct cycle,,,,,Also adding water conditioners CRUICAL as Toxic metals and Chlorine in normal water are fatal to these frogs
    I suggest you cut down feeding every 2nd DAY and monitor PH levels and get some test strips for Nitrate until the tank is showing the correct signs of balance
    The sponge filter is perfectly fine but only ever wrinse slighltly with old tank water when its becoming clogged in slimey poo, if its pumping away and looks good its doing what its suppposed to do by nurturing millions of hungry Amonia eating bacteria so allow it to be slightly dirty..
    Ps am hoping that terracota pot right of pic was there home they need something to hide, they look in very good health so your doing things mostly correct )

Can the filters Airation be reduced to just flow and no BUBBLES frogs dont need Airated water they breath @ surface and you risk gas bubble disease?? also it can disrupt there sensory system, but the bubbles do not look to severe so maybe OK

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Should also Add never administer Salt to the tank directly, they can tolerate salt for short periods but not living conditions hence why salt baths are recommended , please read back posts how to if required but not showing signs yet my opinion

They have a hiding place, the slate in the corner. I know it's barebones but they aren't stressed out as they hang out for a few hours during day time. I am going to buy aquarium plants this weekend for them, the pothos is in there to take out waste and stuff and also just to grow big.

The thing about aquarium salt is that it's not actually marine salt, it helps make fish slime coats heal and what not. I read about people putting aquarium salt after every water change to help the frog get over bloat. Even if it doesn't have bloat it won't harm the frog.

And the bubbles aren't bad, they stay in that corner of the tank.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Could you post the literature that adding aquaruim salt every water change helps frog bloat please! its a very risk thing to try and not advised salt levels will gradually increase as salt does not disperce so each time you add the levels will increase, I seen one advocate of adding salt to tank but he only adds once per MONTH and this was only for water hardness and not in any futial attempt into treating bloat, the frogs osmosis is very delcate you risk them loosing to much fluids especially the poor one with no bloat, but interesting if you can post the link that suggests your method works am very much interested.
    Last edited by craig121; September 13th, 2018 at 02:58 AM.

From one of the most popular xenopus sellers: http://www.xenopus.com/bloated_frog.htm
    There's also this video: https://youtu.be/ves9ong68zo

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

That guys a total Bozo! any idiot that chucks lumps of Salt rock into a tank(without dissolving) knowing full blown well that frogs will eat anything in its path has no credibility especially telling you how much it almost chocked to death! also hes adding medication to his tank &! running a charcoal filter!! OK that was the final stopping point, never did I hear it stated salt gets added to every water change but I wish your frogs good health,

Now that you said it I can see why the video was flawed. But what about the other website? I'm going to read the instructions on the salt box and add just a little bit. Even if it doesn't fix the bloat, it probably won't do anything bad for the frogs unless i dump half the salt in (which im not planning to do )

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Preventative is always better than cure" why would BOZO"s frog have bloat first place?

The other Website gave no instructions , seriously m8t do not add any Salt to the main tank unless you wish to increase water hardeness PH above 7 until max 8, these guys like ph around 7.5, now if your PH waters already 7.5 and your adding salt continously it will stress the frogs.

I do not believe at this point your frog has bloat(but even if he does small quantaties of salt will not cure! and what about the other guy),,,,,, IF he starts showing signs of ballooning like a Michelin man this is the time to act, the tried and proven method I will list below
    Am not shouting lol it was copied and pasted, reason most of my posts are this large was due to phone posting I could not see, but now am on laptops these days
    Also if bloat diagnosed you need to adminster Marcayln correct dosage

The easiest way to treat the frog is to put him in a plastic container (like Rubbermaid) about 3 gallons in size. Put a gallon of conditioned water with about a half-teaspoon of epsom salts. Water temperature should be about 72 degrees. Dissolve the salt before putting the frog in. Don't put anything else in the container. Punch some small holes in the lid for ventilation. Leave the frog in the bath for 1 hour each day . Replace fresh water and salts each day. never leave frog unnatended if any signs of distress remove, the max treatment is 10 days! thats 1 hour each day for 10 days, do not treatmore @ this point , leave frog in MAIN tank and no more salts if condition does not improve seek immediate vetenary advice on Aspiration procedures which I previously posted if your vets unfamiliar

The reason its 1 gallon in 3 gallon container is the frogs comfort, he should still be able to keep his head above water level as the salt levels for eye comfort, do not drown him in salt water
    Last edited by craig121; September 13th, 2018 at 06:24 PM.

Well I added 6 table spoons of salt and some stresscoat+ and dissolved it and added it to the tank.

5 hours later the frog looks like this. And when it moves it doesn't jiggle like a water balloon. I can also see the stitch marks again. The new problem is what do I do with all the left over salt. I have so much of it left. Name:  0913181928.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  5.85 MB

What are you talking about? The frog is perfectly fine, it's eating and lost all the juices that were stuck in it's body. Are you implying that I'm trolling you because I didn't listen to your advice? It's a well known fact aquarium salt is good for fish, so why wouldn't it be good for frogs? I used it once to cure a pleco who had a broken jaw and lip, so i listened to my gut feeling and put it in the tank.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Really Sorry Otofrog my fault 100% not my laptop,,! I always post 1 weeks holliday visisting nephew hes just had a kick in the **** please forgive the posts

It's okay I wasn't offended I was just confused

Thread Information