Thread: Small stripe spots on ATF

Nationality
    [United States]

Exclamation Small stripe spots on ATF

Ok so I had this guy for a year I believe and these spots had just started about three months ago he’s eating still and he’s active at night along with the four other tree frogs who don’t have any spots on them,he’s the only one to have it and sometimes when I see him it looks like he’s throwing up I helped him last time and there was this long slimy black thing that came out of his mouth it was alive or anything but it looked really nasty and I don’t know what to do this is the first time this is happening please help me I want my Dean to be ok again
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Small stripe spots on ATF

I'm not sure what ATF stands for - American Tree Frog? He kinda looks like a Grey Tree Frog to me, and the stripes are a bit unusual but they look totally natural. Tree frogs do change color sometimes.

I do know that the your description of him "throwing up" sounds a lot like he's just shedding his skin - don't worry, every new frog owner freaks out when they see that for the first time. They'll writhe around and have a string of black goo stretching from their sides into their mouth (they eat their shed skin). If you ever see him doing that, don't bug him, I assure you he's fine.

This is what it looks like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8ghPWwvOxs

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by EtTuBrute View Post
    I'm not sure what ATF stands for - American Tree Frog? He kinda looks like a Grey Tree Frog to me, and the stripes are a bit unusual but they look totally natural. Tree frogs do change color sometimes.

I do know that the your description of him "throwing up" sounds a lot like he's just shedding his skin - don't worry, every new frog owner freaks out when they see that for the first time. They'll writhe around and have a string of black goo stretching from their sides into their mouth (they eat their shed skin). If you ever see him doing that, don't bug him, I assure you he's fine.

This is what it looks like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8ghPWwvOxs
    Thank you so much! I’ve had frogs all my life and have never seen them eat there skin so this definitely was a first lol and The stripes just kinda appeared one day but if there natural looking then I’ll let him be but I’ll keep a eye on him just in case

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Blog Entries

Just as EtTuBrute said, tree frogs often change colour but in my opinion that is not a grey tree frog. To me that looks like an american green tree frog (Hyla cinerea) AGTF (not ATF); the white stripe by his mouth gives it away. Could you explain what you mean by long slimy black thing that was alive. I don't know much about parasites in frogs but if it's a nematode I've heard you can see eggs or weird sorts of things in its feces.

Thread Information