Thread: what could they be?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default what could they be?

Had some dwarf white isopods delivered to go in my whites tree frog tank but I am a bit worried as to whether to put them in.
    On the dirt there are TINY little white creatures. The best way I can describe them is that they look like (the shape of) a tick. They don't move very much and when they do they are quite slow moving.
    I have googled and I THINK they could be soil mites. I have spent a few hours this morning sifting through the dirt they came in to take out the isopods and have put those in another lot of my own dirt but I still didn't want to put them into my frog tank until I asked on here.
    Never took any notice of any type of bugs before setting up this tank so any advice would be great.
    People on this forum have been so helpful to me with all my questions so far so thank you all.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: what could they be?

Are you sure they aren't simply neonate isopods?

After more looking online I am pretty sure that what I am seeing is a soil mite. They don't look like an Isopod. I did have some tiny little baby Isopods and these look totally different.
    These are quite round with little legs more at the front.
    As I said I sorted the Isopods out and put them in clean substrate but should I add them to my vivarium or is there a risk of still getting these little bugs in there from the Isopods.
    If they did get into my vivarium are they harmful?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

They are more annoying than harmful. They compete with isopods for resources. My guess is that they will find their way into your vivarium regardless, if conditions are favorable.

I haven't seen anymore in the new little tub that I have set the Isopds up in so hoping I may have caught them but from what you have said I wont worry TOO much now. As long as they aren't harmful to the frogs when they go in there. I'm hoping to get my frogs in about four to five weeks time so that should give the isopods and springtails time to sort themselves out.
    Thanks for your advice.

Thread Information