Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: W.T.F Light Bulb Help...Again

  1. #1

    Question W.T.F Light Bulb Help...Again

    Hello!

    I'm hoping to get some help knowing if these are the correct bulbs for my Whites Tree Frog or not. He will be in an Exo Terra 18" 18" 24" by himself, and the lights will be in the Exo Terra Small Canopy (two bulb slots, maximum 26 watts.) He has eco earth soil, one live bromeliad, and a few fake exo terra plants.

    It was my understanding that these lights would provide for both the frog and the live plant(s). I was also hoping that these bulbs would increase the temperature by around 3 degress F, however I can't find out if they provide any heat or not.

    My house is between 75 and 77 F in the winter. (My room gets slightly cooler)

    Also do I need a thermostat control for the bulbs or is that only for a heat mat?

    Here are the bulbs in question, please recommend the correct ones if these are incorrect. (I'm very confused)



    First is the Zoo Med ReptiSun 5.0 UVB Mini Compact Fluorescent (13 watts)

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A8RI8TK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1_1_5?smid=A3QDHEMKAJOFZJ&psc= 1

    Second is the
    Exo Terra Repti-Glo 2.0 Compact Fluorescent Full Spectrum Terrarium Lamp (Natural Light) (26 watt)

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00101IC7G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1_1_6?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1



    Thanks!

    -Alyssa


  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     

  3. #2
    100+ Post Member Yoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Nationality
    [Canada]
    Location
    Manitoba
    Posts
    100

    Default Re: W.T.F Light Bulb Help...Again

    I probably won't be a great help to you but I as well have a White's tree frog. I have a heat mat that sticks to the side of my terrarium so when my tree frog sleeps stuck to the side of the terrarium he is warm. As far as I'm aware they don't need incredible amount of lighting so my bulb is pretty weak and uses UV. UV is probably what is needed for your plants although UV runs out in a UV light bulb a lot quicker than the actual bulb. The UV runs out after a couple months I think, while the actual bulb lasts a couple years. Usually your light isn't a great heat source, maybe reptile owners only need that. I feel like I'm not helping much, I honestly can't remember what light bulb I got for my frog.

  4. #3

    Default Re: W.T.F Light Bulb Help...Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I probably won't be a great help to you but I as well have a White's tree frog. I have a heat mat that sticks to the side of my terrarium so when my tree frog sleeps stuck to the side of the terrarium he is warm. As far as I'm aware they don't need incredible amount of lighting so my bulb is pretty weak and uses UV. UV is probably what is needed for your plants although UV runs out in a UV light bulb a lot quicker than the actual bulb. The UV runs out after a couple months I think, while the actual bulb lasts a couple years. Usually your light isn't a great heat source, maybe reptile owners only need that. I feel like I'm not helping much, I honestly can't remember what light bulb I got for my frog.
    Hello,

    Thanks for your comment!

    I actually settled on the halogen day blue 25 watt bulb and it's doing a great job.

    My frogs cage was at 72 F and now at the top by the bulb about 78 F (at 20 minutes in). The tank glass is no longer cold and he's changed from a deep brown back to his gorgeous green.

    I'll say it's working so far! I'm keeping an eye on his stress level and the temperature right now, but so far so good

  5. #4
    100+ Post Member Larry Wardog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,227

    Default Re: W.T.F Light Bulb Help...Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa Martin View Post
    Hello,

    Thanks for your comment!

    I actually settled on the halogen day blue 25 watt bulb and it's doing a great job.

    My frogs cage was at 72 F and now at the top by the bulb about 78 F (at 20 minutes in). The tank glass is no longer cold and he's changed from a deep brown back to his gorgeous green.

    I'll say it's working so far! I'm keeping an eye on his stress level and the temperature right now, but so far so good
    I think that the lights you decided on a very good and the UVB will work for the plants but it was more specifically for the whites tree frog because they like to bask next to UVB lights. I have T5 lights and UVB lights on mine closure and the whites tree frogs always go to the spot where the UVB light hits the tank. I think what someone else said about an under tank heater on the side of the enclosure wouldn't be a bad idea because the tree frogs only would need warm temperatures during the day and even in a specific spot so you might not need the largest most expensive under tank heater you could settle with possibly a 10 gallon heater in one small area of the enclosure. The tree frogs will find where the spot is warmer and they will most likely settle down right there. 78 is not too bad but these frogs like the 80s and you would see a lot more activity and the Frog will show more energy. The reason why I know this is because my room was anywhere from 75 to 78 and my female tree frog was very lazy for a portion of the year and then I decided to go with a light that creates heat and I moved her into a different room me and the temperature went from 78 at the most to 85 at the most and I have noticed the tremendous difference with my tree frog her activity and energy level all year around changed immediately as soon as I took her out of my room. As for your plants situation and your enclosure size and all sounds really good. If you need any help with anything else I would love to help you because I really enjoy these frogs!

    Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

  6. #5

    Default Re: W.T.F Light Bulb Help...Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Wardog View Post
    I think that the lights you decided on a very good and the UVB will work for the plants but it was more specifically for the whites tree frog because they like to bask next to UVB lights. I have T5 lights and UVB lights on mine closure and the whites tree frogs always go to the spot where the UVB light hits the tank. I think what someone else said about an under tank heater on the side of the enclosure wouldn't be a bad idea because the tree frogs only would need warm temperatures during the day and even in a specific spot so you might not need the largest most expensive under tank heater you could settle with possibly a 10 gallon heater in one small area of the enclosure. The tree frogs will find where the spot is warmer and they will most likely settle down right there. 78 is not too bad but these frogs like the 80s and you would see a lot more activity and the Frog will show more energy. The reason why I know this is because my room was anywhere from 75 to 78 and my female tree frog was very lazy for a portion of the year and then I decided to go with a light that creates heat and I moved her into a different room me and the temperature went from 78 at the most to 85 at the most and I have noticed the tremendous difference with my tree frog her activity and energy level all year around changed immediately as soon as I took her out of my room. As for your plants situation and your enclosure size and all sounds really good. If you need any help with anything else I would love to help you because I really enjoy these frogs!

    Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
    Hello

    So far he hasn't gotten to the closest part of bulb so I don't know whether or not he likes the heat to much. He's been in the middle of the tank almost all day.

    The thermostat has been next to the bulb so I can see how hot the hottest part of the tank has gotten. So I'd say he's in the 76 degree range right now (I'll get a point degree gun at some point soon.)

    My mother is very hesitant to let me get a heat mat because she worries it will start a fire, however I know I could get one if I though he needed it. I will look into getting one as he has gone from a pile of mush to a slightly more active mush. I'd love to see him be more active however since he's got his new tank with all the extra room now.

    I did notice that he's way more into food now, he didn't used to be and was underweight when I got him initially. I think i will look into getting a heat mat as well.

    Where would you say it should go? His light is on the right side of the tank, should I put his heat mat on the lower side on the right? I know with lizards they like to have a cold and hot side, are frogs the same way?

    That's so interesting that these guy's bask, I don't think I've really ever seen mine do that just yet.

    My house gets around 72 F at night so I know night temps are fine, theses winter temperatures are a bit tricky to work with however.

    Thanks so much!
    Alyssa

  7. #6
    100+ Post Member Larry Wardog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,227

    Default Re: W.T.F Light Bulb Help...Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa Martin View Post
    Hello

    So far he hasn't gotten to the closest part of bulb so I don't know whether or not he likes the heat to much. He's been in the middle of the tank almost all day.

    The thermostat has been next to the bulb so I can see how hot the hottest part of the tank has gotten. So I'd say he's in the 76 degree range right now (I'll get a point degree gun at some point soon.)

    My mother is very hesitant to let me get a heat mat because she worries it will start a fire, however I know I could get one if I though he needed it. I will look into getting one as he has gone from a pile of mush to a slightly more active mush. I'd love to see him be more active however since he's got his new tank with all the extra room now.

    I did notice that he's way more into food now, he didn't used to be and was underweight when I got him initially. I think i will look into getting a heat mat as well.

    Where would you say it should go? His light is on the right side of the tank, should I put his heat mat on the lower side on the right? I know with lizards they like to have a cold and hot side, are frogs the same way?

    That's so interesting that these guy's bask, I don't think I've really ever seen mine do that just yet.

    My house gets around 72 F at night so I know night temps are fine, theses winter temperatures are a bit tricky to work with however.

    Thanks so much!
    Alyssa
    I think that these frogs really do enjoy 80°because that was around the same temperature I had my room set in the upper 70s but the frogs just went on happy and they would just lay around most of the day but whenever they had the opportunity to have a warmer environment they were much more active. I would think tree frogs especially in one of the terrariums would enjoy warmer environment at the top of the enclosure in a cooler environment near the substrate level because and the trees the higher they climb the warmer the temperature is because there are more exposed to the Sun but if it's too warm they climb down towards the soil to cool off so if you have a spot towards the top of the enclosure the frog sits on under the light to get warm the back of the enclosure where his hide is will probably be the best spot to put the heater.

    Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

  8. #7
    100+ Post Member Yoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Nationality
    [Canada]
    Location
    Manitoba
    Posts
    100

    Default Re: W.T.F Light Bulb Help...Again

    I am actually really scared because in winter my room can go down to 67 F so can someone please tell me what kind of light i need to boost up to 80 degrees F.

  9. #8
    100+ Post Member Larry Wardog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,227

    Default Re: W.T.F Light Bulb Help...Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I am actually really scared because in winter my room can go down to 67 F so can someone please tell me what kind of light i need to boost up to 80 degrees F.
    I think an under tank heater would work for you and a T5 light produces heat. It's also good for the plants.

    Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Light bulb question
    By Pyxiefan001 in forum African Bullfrogs
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: April 4th, 2013, 09:41 AM
  2. Light bulb question
    By Pyxiefan001 in forum Vivarium, Terrarium & Enclosure Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 2nd, 2013, 04:30 PM
  3. Good Light Bulb
    By demeteraurion in forum Pacman Frogs
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: July 26th, 2011, 11:20 PM
  4. What type of light bulb ?
    By jimmy870 in forum Forum Questions & Workings
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 18th, 2011, 10:19 PM
  5. Light bulb shattering?
    By jaguilar15 in forum African Bullfrogs
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: January 19th, 2011, 06:05 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •