Thread: Heat mat question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Heat mat question

Hi everyone,
    I am now in the process of setting up my Whites tree frog tank. I was recommended a shop near me by a friend and I went down and spoke to the man there about which he considers best a heat mat or a lamp/bulb. He advised I get a mat so i went with a Habistat heat mat which is 6x11 inch. I have installed it today connected up to a thermostat.
    My question is how warm should the heat mat feel through the glass? I put my hand inside the tank onto where the heat mat touches on the outside and I can hardly feel any heat. I was worried about using a heat mat just in case the frogs burn themselves on it. I expected it to feel warm when I touch the glass. If I touch the mat on the outside of the tank it is warmish. I thought that maybe I had it back to front so pulled it off to check and it feels the same on both sides.
    Does this sound right? I have absolutely zero experience with any of this as I am a total beginer.
    Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Heat mat question

For a whites treefrog I’d honestly prefer a basking lamp on one side of the enclosure over a heat mat. You’re aiming for an ambient temperature in the high seventies during the day with a warm spot near eighty on one end. It’s easier to maintain this with an appropriately sized bulb in my opinion. Since they are a larger species and require an enclosure near 20 gallons for 2 adults a heat mat isn’t always the best option. It’s just not very good at heating the air.

I do use a 8 by 4 heat Matt on the side of my juvenile red eyed tree frog enclosure though. Since that enclosure is smaller (12x12x18) the heat mat works since a bulb would be overkill. I aim for a temperature around 84 on the glass which translates to near 80 a few inches away.

Get a a good temp gun and thermostat. It may take some work but you’ll be able to fine tune it.

Hi Dan, thanks for the speedy response, I did originally buy a heat bulb and a dome so have one ready. I did wonder if this heat mat was going to be very good when he said it.
    I had the heat mat running on a pulse thermostat so if I change to a heat bulb is this type of thermostat going to be suitable for a heat bulb?

Nationality
    [United States]

Pulse thermostats are great. I’d assume it would work with a bulb but you’d have to try it to find out. I use a pulse thermostat for my snakes with great results. What size is the terrarium by the way? I have my whites in a 20 tall and I use a 60 wattt bulb at one end.

I did a little research yesterday and for a heat bulb a dimmer thermostat is best aparantly, but I also found that pulse thermostats are advised with heat emitters so I have ordered one and the appropriate fixtures so we will see how that goes.
    Also you asked how big my terrarium is, It is an exo terra 18x18x24 high. The heat emitter I ordered was a 60 watt, I was lucky enough to find a brand new one on Ebay for pennies.
    One other question, do you use a night healt bulb, I did buy one but just wanted to check.
    Thanks.

Nationality
    [United States]

Good idea to go with the dimmer. I don't use a night bulb I allow for a night drop in temperature down to ambient room temperature (near 70) after the lights in my frog room go off. I keep the lights on a 12 on 12 off timer.

Thread Information