Thread: Oddly Calm (WTF)

Question Oddly Calm (WTF)

Hello!

I have a question that I need a bit of help with.

Species - Whites Tree frog.

I constantly see Whites Tree Frogs on YouTube and Instagram who are extremely active such as biting fingers and eating crickets from tweezers. However I feel like mine is very calm and "chill". I want to make sure this is normal behavior as he does have me a bit worried.

He lives in a 10 gallon tank solo (upgrading soon, he had issues initially with eating when I got him.)

He has no lights or heating yet due to my house being at the min at 77 F right now. He's getting a light/mat soon due to the winter months however. In the summer our house is between 77-80 F.

Humidity is 50 but he has spikes to 70. I keep a towel on top to help humidity stay.

He has a big water bowl (spring water by ArrowHead. He is also misted with the same water)

Climbing branches, a bromilad, and two fake plants reside in his tank as well.

He will hunt at night but is a bit clumsy and it takes him awhile to catch one.

Stool is large (which means he is eating at night) and the correct consistency.

He's perfectly happy chilling on me (when we do cage cleanings) and will hop to a higher vantage point.

He also sheds fine as I find shed/skin in his water.

Is this normal behavior or am I missing something? I've never owned frogs/amphibians so I'm a very concerned from mom as you can see lol.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Oddly Calm (WTF)

I don't have a WTF but to me it sounds like you have a happy frog that isn't displaying stress behaviours. He's obviously eating and trusts you, etc. As stated tho, I'm not familiar with WTFs specifically

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I have two of these and there are some temperament differences but mostly, they're cold blooded animals that like to chill. Honestly all those videos of frogs being super active and biting are probably just selected moments from animals that otherwise lie around like lumps.

However if a frog doesn't climb at night at all there may be a problem.

5. This member thanks elly for this post:

I’ve got 3 wtfs. All of them are super sweet. Mine love to jump on my hair when I open their tank to change their water lol. I have hand fed and tong fed before but they are hungry hungry hippos lol and basically eat either my entire hand or the tongs so I just let them hunt anymore which is really better for them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by LydiasMom View Post
    I don't have a WTF but to me it sounds like you have a happy frog that isn't displaying stress behaviours. He's obviously eating and trusts you, etc. As stated tho, I'm not familiar with WTFs specifically
    Thanks for the response!

(Love your profile picture btw)

8. This member thanks Alyssa Martin for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    I have two of these and there are some temperament differences but mostly, they're cold blooded animals that like to chill. Honestly all those videos of frogs being super active and biting are probably just selected moments from animals that otherwise lie around like lumps.

However if a frog doesn't climb at night at all there may be a problem.
    That makes perfect sense. I've always heard that WTF's are super chill so when I saw the video's I was a bit concerned. I don't know why that reasoning popped in my head however.

He does climb at night (when I'm not looking, he's a shy little guy) and will plop in his water bowl as well. I will take it he's a healthy frog from this information and my observations.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by RainesRockinReptiles View Post
    I’ve got 3 wtfs. All of them are super sweet. Mine love to jump on my hair when I open their tank to change their water lol. I have hand fed and tong fed before but they are hungry hungry hippos lol and basically eat either my entire hand or the tongs so I just let them hunt anymore which is really better for them anyway.
    Awww. Yes mine will hop around if he's taken out, he's a shoulder rider! I've had mixed results with hand feeding (never tong fed however) he doesn't seem to be concerned about food but has gained appropriate weight.

Love your WTF's btw! Mine will change from light green to a dark greenish brown. How did you manage to get three of different colors? That bronze one is a stunning color, can't say I've seen one like it before. Is it a natural change in color or is that the default color they say in?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa Martin View Post
    Awww. Yes mine will hop around if he's taken out, he's a shoulder rider! I've had mixed results with hand feeding (never tong fed however) he doesn't seem to be concerned about food but has gained appropriate weight.

Love your WTF's btw! Mine will change from light green to a dark greenish brown. How did you manage to get three of different colors? That bronze one is a stunning color, can't say I've seen one like it before. Is it a natural change in color or is that the default color they say in?

Thanks!
    Well the smallest I purchased but the other two were given to me from a friend. So I’m not sure about the background of the other two.
    Many people seem to find her fascinating lol. But all three change from light to dark green at times. They aren’t always the colors they are in their main photo.

Thread Information