Thread: Frog paralysis in FL

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Frog paralysis in FL

Hi everyone, I'm an accidental frog owner as of 3 weeks ago. I came across a wild frog on my property that couldn't move its rear legs. I decided to take it indoors and try to help it recover. It had a white area on its back, possibly an injury or sloughed off spot? That has healed nicely and the frog looks healthy but it still can't use its back legs. Is there anything I can do? I reached out to local wild life experts and was told to put it down if there's no improvement. The frog currently lives in a makeshift tank with moist soil and a grassy area to hide. I have a low sided bowl of water and some fish food at the opposite end. The "tank" is on my side porch where there is very little traffic. I'm doing what I can because releasing it at this point would be a death sentence for the little thing. Will syringe feeding it some calcium help? Is there a cure? TIA.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Frog paralysis in FL

Sorry for the late reply, how's the frog? Will you post some pictures of it?

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi and thanks for your reply. I just sent an email with pics, so not sure if you'll get that. The first time I tried to post a reply on this forum, i goofed up. The frog is still strong, all healed but not using its rear legs. A wildlife professor at UCF told me to humanely put it down if it showed no improvement. It's been a few days now and I've been giving it as much time as I can before doing something so final. Not sure how to post pics here!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

No, I didn't get the email - There's a FAQ in the top bar in the Forum section that tells how to post pics. Syringe feeding may help, yes. If you have any frog safe bugs then he might try to eat, is he looking thin at all?

Nationality
    [United States]

Are you saying that syringe feeding calcium may restore the use of the legs? It's been about a month now and nothing changed with his legs. I tried putting calcium on the goldfish flakes but the frog only seems to want the plain goldfish flakes. He looks strong and can pull himself around pretty quickly. He eats at night and I've spotted some of the flakes on his mouth when I check on him after dark. I've tried to give him bugs but he doesn't seem interested in them so I'll try crickets at some point if he continues to live. I'm not knowledgeable about frogs at all, but he doesn't look scrawny to me. I try not to stress him and don't handle him unless I have to, but he has quite the grip. Hopefully I can now get some pics to you. The little whitish spot on his back is no longer there; it's all healed now.

Name:  IMG_1014.JPG
Views: 120
Size:  63.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1012.JPG
Views: 116
Size:  60.5 KB

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi, I sent a couple of pics along with my reply and got a note that admin would have to approve it first, but I still can't find it on this thread. I didn't want you to think I abandoned the thread. If all else fails, I found a vet that is fairly close by that may be able to help. Thanks for your replies. I keep checking in.

Thread Information