Thread: Update on Gorf :)

Red face Update on Gorf :)

Hi guys! Just popping in to post an update on my baby/juvenile pacman frog Gorf and get your opinion on her setup/health, she's had a rough start to say the least but seems to be improving, as far as I can tell.

She's started eating regularly, not a huge amount, about one dubia per night (the width between her eyes) but as she gets better at catching them she's more willing to eat several smaller dubias instead. She's also learning to hunt in her waterdish, which is good because she's got a bad aim and has eaten small amounts of substrate..(Side note this batch of cocofiber came out too stringy, I will go through the next batch better).

She's almost exactly 2 inches long, and has gained her weight back. She's pretty badly stunted, didn't eat or grow for quite a while, I got her in late March, but I'm just glad to see her growing at all. She's getting fiercer and sometimes puffs up defensively and hops threateningly at me when I spot clean, but she's a little more used to me. What do you think the chances are she'll reach at least 3'' now? If she ends up small will she still be comfy in a 10 g?
    Her behavior seems normal, but she's my first. She changes spots every day or so, sometimes stays in one for a couple days, soaks in her water bowl for a few hours everyday or for almost an entire day every other day, and sometimes burrows until only her eyes are showing.

I'm having humidity troubles, it keeps spiking to 95%! Obviously this is bad and I'm trying to stabilize it,but I'm wondering how bad it it? Should I be doing any damage control? She was like that for a while.. :/

Her tank is small plastic tub with 1'' - 2'' cocofiber and a large waterdish, I tried including hides like flower pots but she didn't like them and they took up space so they were removed, adding a couple pothos cuttings stuck in the substrate this week. All but a small patch in the front where the heat lamp points are covered with paper. Probe for the thermostat is on the side just touching the substrate. Temp stays at about 79-81, one cold night it went down to 75 for a short time. Water is dechlorinated tap, food is raised mostly on kale and collard greens but I mix in bits of carrots and fruit every few days and dust lightly with repashy.

Here's Gorf!
    Name:  SMALL20180811_145856 (2).jpg
Views: 212
Size:  312.3 KB
    Name:  SMALL20180811_150044 (2).jpg
Views: 229
Size:  480.1 KB

And here's the tank, sorry for the bad photo:Name:  SMALL20180809_024525.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  237.9 KB

What do you think, does she look okay? Anything I need to change?

2. This member thanks Hypnofrog for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [Sweden]

Default Re: Update on Gorf :)

I think she lookes pretty! As for humidity... how is your ventilation?

5. This member thanks Reptilian Feline for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Reptilian Feline View Post
    I think she lookes pretty! As for humidity... how is your ventilation?
    Isn't she? I hope she keeps at least a spot of green as an adult! Ventilation makes up roughly 1/3 of the lid of her bin, I'm cutting it to 1/2 in a few minutes, just lost the tape that holds the screen down..or should I completely cut out the top of the bin?
    The bin is also in the ten gallon that will one day be her home, since that's where the heater was set up, but that tank doesn't make much of a difference as it's got a full screen front and is bad at holding humidity..

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Sounds like you're doing good! I have no experience with Pac-man frogs, but if you're having humidity problems, maybe provide some more lighting? (Safely of course). I'm pretty rusty with reptiles and amphibians so take that with a grain of salt . Also, your frog is very pretty!

8. This member thanks Cliygh and Mia 2 for this post:

I wanted to add some lighting to the main tank but unfortunately it's a front opening 10 gallon so I can't fit a bulb anywhere.
    I know! So lucky to find her <3 she's more moss than lime my camera washed it out
    -

On the topic of lighting, does anybody know if I could put some waterproof aquarium LEDs in the tank? On a timer of course.

10. This member thanks Hypnofrog for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [Sweden]

I think any type of "outdoor-safe" LED strip will be OK. You won't keep the connection inside the tank anyway

12. This member thanks Reptilian Feline for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Reptilian Feline View Post
    I think any type of "outdoor-safe" LED strip will be OK. You won't keep the connection inside the tank anyway
    Awesome! That makes lighting her a lot easier

14. This member thanks Hypnofrog for this post:

So.. do they know when to stop eating? Or are they like cats?..

Thread Information