Thread: Baby Strawberry Pineapple Pacman has eyes closed nearly all the time (+ Other questions)

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Baby Strawberry Pineapple Pacman has eyes closed nearly all the time (+ Other questions)

General introduction to my froggie friend:
    I had gotten my little thing last week, Frankie Fitzgerald Franklin the First a Strawberry Pineapple Pacman

First week had gone smoothly, I set him up in a ten gallon tank, Josh's frogs Coco Husk, Some plants donated to me from my mother and a tipped over fractured clay pot for some safety
    . At first I made some lighting mistakes and got the incorrect lights and quickly fixed by getting some zoo-med bulbs and reflector lamp. He has eaten only once as he was eating some shedded I force fed him a banded cricket, that he had scarfed up happily. I know he wouldn't have eaten much from the first two or so weeks of setting in (He was also shipped without any packing paper in his box so he was probably tossed around and though he was going into rapture, Poor fella) So anyway he's been burrowing normally and will trek around a few steps late at night as expected. But a few days ago I noticed he would squint and close his eyes completely (Which i know isn't right because they don't shut their eyes when they sleep) So I was very concerned. I gave him a mist squirt and he had opened them, So I passed it off as he had some substrate in his eye. But he continued for longer and had me extremely stressed for it. Im very worried for him and am curious on his diagnosis and what I can do to improve his state, I have a feeling he may be in a sunburnt state since he is an albino and was subjected to improper lighting that harmed him.

I just want my buddy to have a fulfilling life, not cut off this early

Please help !

(Another note, How would you properly feed ? I use banded crickets and alternate from clean hand feeding and reptile tongs for his Banded Crickets and as of now he is being grouchy and wont take it since he isn't completely set into his tank. I've seen people put them into a alternate small tank, with some substrate and let them burrow and drop some food in and let them strike, I've seen others just nudge the food in front of them until they take it, Whats he proper way to feed?)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Baby Strawberry Pineapple Pacman has eyes closed nearly all the time (+ Other questions)

Hi there!

I recently had the same issue as you are having with your frog's eyes. I even flushed mine's eyes out & put it off as substrate being stuck, as well. After it continued, along with his loss of appetite, I rushed him to the vet to find out that he had red leg. I am not trying to scare you, but please pick up your frog & check to see if his legs/stomach area looks abnormally red. I was informed that their eyes being closed means that something is not right (which it looks like you are aware of, so good for you for helping your frog friend).

Have you tried nightcrawlers instead? They are irresistible to these frogs. They're also great because they are so easily digested, making the risk of impaction low. These should be fed with tongs. Personally, I have never had any luck with an alternate tank. It just stresses the frog out & he refuses to eat. With the worms, you hold them up until he grabs them, so he will be less likely to strike at the substrate than if he was chasing a cricket down. Does that make sense? Mine still gets some substrate in his mouth from time to time, but since it's coconut fiber & he has been using the bathroom fine, I have seen no harm in this.

I hope your frog friend gets better & starts eating! Best wishes for him!

4. This member thanks HeatherK for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Baby Strawberry Pineapple Pacman has eyes closed nearly all the time (+ Other questions)

Just checked and couldn't really tell, He still has some shedding skin on his upper legs (Legs closer to his belly) and he seemed to not really have any redness, he may just still be stressed since he is a juvenile. Currently feeding Banded Crickets but he also seems to have slowed down on the squinting, He only really heard he does it when he is in a burrow (Which i Had heard is normal ??)

Nationality
    [United States]

Quick Update: As I was pacing around my room/dresser/frog terrarium I had noticed he would Scratch at himself like a dog when he was first shedding, I took this chance to pounce into action and force feed him as he'd open his mouth. Got him a reasonable proportion of Two banded crickets, One dusted with Rep-Cal Calcium with Vitamin D !
    Very happy about that !

Nationality
    [United States]

It's definitely normal to have mild irritation, especially when your little guy likes to dig down to the main bottom. Squinting while in a burrow does make sense. I'm always worrying about mine getting it in his eyes when he digs down. I'm always like, "how does he do that without getting everything caught in it?!" (Worried frog mom 24/7, lol.)

I'm glad to hear that your little guy got some food in his system! It took about a month or two for me to really settle in with my frog without nearly rushing him to the vet every time I thought something was off. I'm sure yours will be just fine, as you are doing wonderful with him/her! Best of luck to you!

8. This member thanks HeatherK for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Yeah, That and When I handled him to check and see his legs I saw a slight pink tinge and flipped it lol, Until I was told most have that. I think hes just being a lil boy and acting weird and getting used to his tank. Im still gonna be weary on Redleg. It is brutal after all

Thanks so much for the advice !
    (Ive thanked you with a bountiful amount of Rep )

Frankie Fitzgerald Franklin the First
    Strawberry Pineapple Pacman frog

Nationality
    [United States]

These guys are unpredictable, that's for sure! My guy still throws a tantrum when I take him out to clean his tank & refuses food that day. So silly!

You are more than welcome! I've not been a frog owner long, but you can talk to me anytime & I will do my best to help! And thank you for that! You are too kind!

Thread Information