Thread: Pac Man Frog

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Pac Man Frog

My pac Man frog is doing fine I just wanted other opinions on his health. I have had him for probably a year now and he hasn't seem to have grown much if at all. I have been feeding him a staple of mealworms and some crickets which I recently read that mealworms shouldn't be fed as a staple. He also has these little lumps in his stomach near his shoulders on both sides. He poops regularly and eats normally too. And is it ok if I feed him earthworms from my backyard? Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Pac Man Frog

He also won't eat roaches, he just stares blankly at them. I would really love some advice. Thanks!

I'm too new to answer most your questions, but if you post an image of the frog it might help other assess his health/the bumps. It's good you found out about the mealworms, at most use them as an occasional treat if at all.
    Don't take earthworms from your yard!
    They can contain toxins of all sorts and parasites! Even if your yard is pesticide free you don't know where else they've been or what metals or whatever else they've been exposed too. However if your local petstores don't sell worms you can get them from fishing supplies stores or even walmart, just be careful that you don't buy the ones that have been dyed or scented, and you want nightcrawlers, redwigglers have nasty smelling juice that could put you frog off worms forever if he's picky enough. If he's small you may have to cut the worms into thirds/in half. Crickets will be a fine staple as long as you're gutloading and dusting them properly. Earthworms would be a better staple though, especially if he's struggled to grow on mealworms, they're very high in calcium.
    You might try offering freshly molted (white) dubias, mine didn't eat them at first either, I think she hated the texture of their shell, but squishy molted ones did the trick eventually.

Glad he's eating well! How old was he when you got him? What size is he now?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I second Hypnofrog on the yard earthworms. As they're at the bottom of the food chain they tend to pick up and store any toxins and heavy metals in the soil, which then get passed on to whatever animal that eats them. Farmed European, African, or Canadian nightcrawlers are the way to go. You can even buy African or European nightcrawlers online and try breeding them yourself if that's something you'd be interested in. Just make sure they're not red wigglers of course.

If he's not showing interest in the roaches I'd try leaving them in the enclosure with him a little longer. If they just tend to sit there, I'd try tapping them to make them run in front of your frog. I'd think the fast movement would be irresistible to frogs, but then again I'm not a frog myself!

As for why your frog isn't growing, how big is he and how often/in what volume are you feeding him? Smaller frogs should be fed more often than larger frogs, and you should feed until you notice the feeding response slowing down.

6. This member thanks mysterythought for this post:

Thread Information