Thread: Help! I need information regarding feed and care of a small, just over 3/4" long white's tree frog.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Help! I need information regarding feed and care of a small, just over 3/4" long white's tree frog.

I initially had two white's tree frogs both a little longer than 3/4" and on July 22nd 2018 I found one of them dead in their enclosure. The frogs both seemed healthy and were eating the night before. I ordered them from LLLreptile and recieved them on July 17th, 2018. I had been feeding them each 3-4 fruit flies (drosophila hydei) once every day. The enclosure is sterilite 7.5 gallon modular stacker that I modified by drilling many holes in the lid. I also used hot glue to secure a few plastic plants in for climbing/hiding. I have a small container that is about as deep as the frog is tall for water that is distilled water treated with dechlorinator. I mist the enclosure 2 a day with dechlorinated distilled water as well. I am using paper towels for substrate currently. I don't know why one of the frogs died and I am concerned for my other frog. What am I doing wrong? should I be feeding more flies or is something else wrong? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Help! I need information regarding feed and care of a small, just over 3/4" long white's tree frog.

I don't know what to tell you other than young frogs can be very vulnerable sometimes. I'd try scrubbing down the container in case of fungus. That can kill very quickly. Was the frog's belly red at all or with visible veins? That could be a clue you had red leg.

You might want to increase the number of fruit flies, but that's just a guess from someone who has never fed a frog that size.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Help! I need information regarding feed and care of a small, just over 3/4" long white's tree frog.

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    I don't know what to tell you other than young frogs can be very vulnerable sometimes. I'd try scrubbing down the container in case of fungus. That can kill very quickly. Was the frog's belly red at all or with visible veins? That could be a clue you had red leg.

You might want to increase the number of fruit flies, but that's just a guess from someone who has never fed a frog that size.
    It looked normal other than it being limp with its arms and legs outstretched. I have wiped down the container since then. I also replace the paper towels daily after they have been soiled. There was no redness. Thank you for your advice. I think I didn't realize they would be this small because all of the reviews I saw on YouTube were of larger frogs.

Nationality
    [United States]

Young frogs require a bit more feeding than fully grown frogs. Kind of like how a teenager eats their parents out of house and home! Ha ha. I would up the count of fruit flies a bit. They are tiny little buggers. Honestly, it cold be a number of things. Maybe some stress from being shipped has something to do with it, poor conditions before shipping, your temperatures and humidity could be off. Just keep an eye on things, look for things out of the ordinary, increase the feeding if you're doing fruit flies, and decrease disturbance. Scrubbing down the container for fungus is a good idea as well.Another thing to note, distilled water isn't the best for amphibians. It can actually suck the minerals out of your frog over time. Just something to think about down the road. Spring water is pretty good and something that I've used for my salamanders. My new frog seems to be taking it well too!

6. This member thanks bhill368 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by bhill368 View Post
    Young frogs require a bit more feeding than fully grown frogs. Kind of like how a teenager eats their parents out of house and home! Ha ha. I would up the count of fruit flies a bit. They are tiny little buggers. Honestly, it cold be a number of things. Maybe some stress from being shipped has something to do with it, poor conditions before shipping, your temperatures and humidity could be off. Just keep an eye on things, look for things out of the ordinary, increase the feeding if you're doing fruit flies, and decrease disturbance. Scrubbing down the container for fungus is a good idea as well.Another thing to note, distilled water isn't the best for amphibians. It can actually suck the minerals out of your frog over time. Just something to think about down the road. Spring water is pretty good and something that I've used for my salamanders. My new frog seems to be taking it well too!
    Thank you for your response. Should the spring water also be treated with dechlorinator?

Nationality
    [United States]

You shouldn't have to. Spring water goes through a carbon filtration process, removing any chlorine.

Thread Information