Thread: Is it ok for my frog to jump on furniture?

Nationality
    [United States]

Question Is it ok for my frog to jump on furniture?

I have an Australian white tree frog. I've had him for a few months, but I've recently started holding him more often (I honestly used to be scared to hold him). At first, he used to just sit still in my hand- not sure if he was scared of me or what. Now that I'm holding him more often, he's been more active. He climbs and jumps all over me. I'm always sure to wash my hands before holding him so I know that's okay. However, is he okay to climb on my clothing or the furniture?? Is that bad for his skin?

Also, do you think he likes being held? It seems to me that he's become more comfortable in my hands. When I try to put him back in his cage, he always climbs up my arm and makes it difficult to put him back. That makes me think he doesn't want to go back in his cage and would rather stay with me. But who knows.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Is it ok for my frog to jump on furniture?

Because frog skin is so sensitive I never advise handling unless it’s absolutely necessary. Even though whites treefrogs are a bit tougher than most other commonly kept species and may tolerate it I wouldn’t recommend making a habit out of it. Bits of fabric may cling to its skin, exposure to cleaning chemicals on furniture can be hazardous, the oils in your skin can cause skin irritation and finally there is the issue of stress. A grasping human hand is likely to be perceived as a predator by a frog. The fact that your frog climbs your arm is in fact most likely a stress response. Tree frogs often instinctively go upward when stressed out.

The best way to enjoy your frog and assure it’s wellbeing is to understand its natural behaviors in frog terms. Some may tolerate handling. But remember; in the wild avoiding large animals is natural behavior for them. You may be stressing your frog out more than you realize.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Is it ok for my frog to jump on furniture?

I agree with Dan. The frog should not be handled, except when necessary for vivarium cleaning, and so forth. Chemicals on your hands, clothing, and furniture present a risk. One or two good jumps could lead to injury or escape.
    No, the frog does not like being held. As Dan mentioned, they climb upwards to escape, in this instance, it is trying to escape being put back in its cage.

Thread Information