Thread: Book on American Toad Terrarium with Plants

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Book on American Toad Terrarium with Plants

Hello,

I see that there are many guides on constructing terrariums here, which is what I intend to do for some American toads. However, I do much better gaining fundamentals from books.

Can someone recommend a good one for creating an American toad terrarium that is also heavy with plants? I am a plant person too and hope to have as many plants inside as is practical, especially mosses and maybe some ferns. I have some powerful plant lights (the kind used for seedlings and indoor vigourous growth), so that shouldn't be a problem.

I have a second-hand terrarium that is 30" x 12" x 13"(high), it was originally used for a turtle.

Thanks.
    Last edited by elienar; July 21st, 2018 at 01:39 PM. Reason: adding turtle detail

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Book on American Toad Terrarium with Plants

Quote Originally Posted by elienar View Post
    Hello,

I see that there are many guides on constructing terrariums here, which is what I intend to do for some American toads. However, I do much better gaining fundamentals from books.

Can someone recommend a good one for creating an American toad terrarium that is also heavy with plants? I am a plant person too and hope to have as many plants inside as is practical, especially mosses and maybe some ferns. I have some powerful plant lights (the kind used for seedlings and indoor vigourous growth), so that shouldn't be a problem.

I have a second-hand terrarium that is 30" x 12" x 13"(high), it was originally used for a turtle.

Thanks.
    That would probably be good for one toad and I don't have any good book recommendations but there are articles by a former zoo herpetologist that talks about their care and he's very solid with his tips. I also am an advanced keeper with the American Toads so I would probably be able to help you with any questions you have. If you still just want a book I can try to help you with that as well it's just that sometimes we can benefit on this forum talking to people that keep the species we are interested in because we can learn from their success and mistakes as well as we can get new ideas seeing how other people care for their animals.
    I have a YouTube Channel that features the American Toad so maybe this can give you some ideas too and I'll be creating more care videos about them in my channel

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...0EFUdUrjjhEoK1

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Book on American Toad Terrarium with Plants

I am quite fond of using forums, they are great for getting personalized specific advise, and I certainly plan to use this one. I just feel like I need a basic grounding to begin with - I really don't even know where to start except getting material that toads like to burrow in and having a water bowl. This is why I thought a book would be good; also if I'm spending a long time reading something, such as over many hours, I need something on paper since the screen starts to hurt my eyes after a while. However, maybe some of these articles you mentioned cover some of the basics?

I'll take a look at your videos, thanks.

Thread Information