Thread: My frog died, any ideas on why?

Default My frog died, any ideas on why?

Hello! I have had an African Dwarf Frog in the past and it lived for a few weeks, but my aquarium was new so I didn’t think anything of it. Now I have had the tank for three years and a family member just bought me a new one. The first day he was fine swimming and hiding, but the second day he was on his back and I tried to flip him over with a net and he squirmed a bit and flipped over. I then left for a while came back and he was on his back again. I’m afraid that I’m doing something wrong. He also is shedding his skin and has a very distinct white spot on his nose and his entire face is cloudy, skin included. Any ideas as to what is happening? Oh and I tested the water and everything checked out ok. Thanks for your help!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: My frog died, any ideas on why?

Did you wipe down the tank before putting it together for him? What substrate are you using? Did you bake it before putting it in? What plants do you have? If you have and fixtures what are they and how did you prep them? What have you been feeding him?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

[QUOTE=FindableBike713;282114]Hello! I have had an African Dwarf Frog in the past and it lived for a few weeks, but my aquarium was new so I didn’t think anything of it. Now I have had the tank for three years and a family member just bought me a new one. The first day he was fine swimming and hiding, but the second day he was on his back and I tried to flip him over with a net and he squirmed a bit and flipped over. I then left for a while came back and he was on his back again. I’m afraid that I’m doing something wrong. He also is shedding his skin and has a very distinct white spot on his nose and his entire face is cloudy, skin included. Any ideas as to what is happening? Oh and I tested the water and everything checked out ok. Thanks for your help![/QUOTE]

Did u start with a good water conditioners then allow the tank to cycle! If yes what type conditioners and also how long did you cycle

Quote Originally Posted by LydiasMom View Post
    Did you wipe down the tank before putting it together for him? What substrate are you using? Did you bake it before putting it in? What plants do you have? If you have and fixtures what are they and how did you prep them? What have you been feeding him?

The tank already had a danio in it, and had been perfectly good for a few years and I cleaned it the other week and all the tests came back fine. I have a gravel substrate and yes I boiled it before putting it back to kill any algae that might’ve been growing. I don’t have any real plants seeing as how I’m not sure if they would live in the tank well. I have an artificial plant that I clean with dechlorinated water. And I have a little hiding cove type structure for the fish to hide and swim in between. I feed him small pellets that I was recommended to feed him. He somehow survived the first night and I didn’t notice that his butt had a little redness to it.

Yes I use API water conditioner and when I set up that tank initially I cycled it for a month or so. It’s been perfectly fine for all my fish.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Quote Originally Posted by FindableBike713 View Post
    Yes I use API water conditioner and when I set up that tank initially I cycled it for a month or so. It’s been perfectly fine for all my fish.
    can only assume the frog was in poor health before you inherited sorry for it's loss

Quote Originally Posted by craig121 View Post
    can only assume the frog was in poor health before you inherited sorry for it's loss
    Thats what I was thinking. I guess I just have bad luck with frogs. Thanks for your help !

I'm sorry your little guy died, I hope if you get a new frog things go well!

Thread Information