Thread: Is this housing safe for tree frogs

Question Is this housing safe for tree frogs

Name:  637DD48C-BB53-4B60-B593-A6EACBF85235.jpeg
Views: 317
Size:  1.76 MBOk. So. I have this 24 gallon Vivarium with a mostly aquatic bottom with an axolotl in it. A small portion is dirt, there’s a large branch that goes out over the water and live plants. I’m new to the amphibian world, but don’t worry, I know what I’m doing with my axie. I’m wondering if those conditions would be safe for a tree frog, if possible, multiple different kinds that get along with eachother.
    Last edited by AtticOctopus; July 18th, 2018 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Got the pic up

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Is this housing safe for tree frogs

Personally I wouldn't consider it. The frog could transmit pathogens to the axie, especially if it is wild caught. More likely, though, that the axie will chomp down on the frog the first time it so much as dips a toe in the water, killing or injuring it.

Quote Originally Posted by Herpin Man View Post
    Personally I wouldn't consider it. The frog could transmit pathogens to the axie, especially if it is wild caught. More likely, though, that the axie will chomp down on the frog the first time it so much as dips a toe in the water, killing or injuring it.
    Ok. But if I gave it water somewhere the axie can’t get to, and make it so that they couldn’t get into the axies water, would that be safe? And so the constant water evaporating and humidity created by the water isn’t a problem for tree frogs? I’d also add in more places to hid etc

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AtticOctopus View Post
    Ok. But if I gave it water somewhere the axie can’t get to, and make it so that they couldn’t get into the axies water, would that be safe? And so the constant water evaporating and humidity created by the water isn’t a problem for tree frogs? I’d also add in more places to hid etc
    You can't stop a frog from utilizing water they are nosy and curious and no matter how well you could try to rig it the frog will just keep trying until it gets into the water. The salamander will try to eat the frog since it will be bigger but if you get a big frog it would try to eat your salmander and the salamander is poisonous. All amphibians are poisonous but salamanders, newts and pickerel frogs are something that only can be housed alone or by an advanced keeper knowing what species they have all the ins and outs for numerous reasons. It's just best for the species you asked about that they stay with their own species because of numerous reasons. I'm curious as to what type of tree frog you were considering?

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Well I have a single female American green tree frog that I need to rehouse and wanted to see if she could be in there safely. I also would love to have some red clown tree frogs, red eye tree frogs, pretty much any kind I can get. But I want to make sure I know how to properly care for then and that they’ll be safe before I get any.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AtticOctopus View Post
    Well I have a single female American green tree frog that I need to rehouse and wanted to see if she could be in there safely. I also would love to have some red clown tree frogs, red eye tree frogs, pretty much any kind I can get. But I want to make sure I know how to properly care for then and that they’ll be safe before I get any.
    I think those other tree frogs are great but I'll say you need to be very educated on just Red Eye Tree Frogs before you buy them. I never owned one but they aren't an easy species to keep. I think if you would rehouse the green tree frog and even get another like the opposite sex if you can that would help give you some experience with tree frogs and help you get a little more familiar on how to care for tree frogs. Green tree frogs are very fun and can be interesting to keep. A 20 gallon or Exo Terra 18x18x24 would be good for a pair. I am not discouraging you from buying a red eye tree frog I'm just saying even me having years of experience with other tree frogs would need to get more educated on that species specifically. I am not an advanced keeper id realistically say I am with toads but overall I'm a solid intermediate keeper. I think it would take me about 2 years or so of research and on the third year purchase a pair. There is so much to learn when it comes to advanced frogs!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Wardog View Post
    I think those other tree frogs are great but I'll say you need to be very educated on just Red Eye Tree Frogs before you buy them. I never owned one but they aren't an easy species to keep. I think if you would rehouse the green tree frog and even get another like the opposite sex if you can that would help give you some experience with tree frogs and help you get a little more familiar on how to care for tree frogs. Green tree frogs are very fun and can be interesting to keep. A 20 gallon or Exo Terra 18x18x24 would be good for a pair. I am not discouraging you from buying a red eye tree frog I'm just saying even me having years of experience with other tree frogs would need to get more educated on that species specifically. I am not an advanced keeper id realistically say I am with toads but overall I'm a solid intermediate keeper. I think it would take me about 2 years or so of research and on the third year purchase a pair. There is so much to learn when it comes to advanced frogs!

Thanks you! I will do that. And that Vivarium with my axie is 18x18x24. If only I could keep her in there. Do you know of anything I could put in with her (the axie) that stays up in trees or the like?

9. This member thanks AtticOctopus for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

If your salamander can't get on the land you can try insects honestly. I'd think Millipedes and Hissing Roaches would work you could give them a water bowl and food and they'd never really go to the water part. They possibly could but it's not as likely. Possibly a Praying Mantis if you make it bushy and get fake vines but id say an orchid mantis because they are small. You don't want an insect hunting your salamander. I would look into something like insects. Could you house it with some fish at all? Also there are beetles that you could keep with hissing cockroaches and millipedes too if your a bug guy. I keep giant American Millipedes with my Skinks because they are peaceful and nocturnal. They are also too big for my Skinks to eat. I think some nice vines and UVB for the green tree frog would be good. You could keep small fish like mosquito fish with the tree frog. Of you raise them they will breed fast and if your salamander eats fish they can be a pet in one tank and a food source in the other. Peace Lillies work good too. Many branches also. You want to make a deep thick Forrest for them and to have a good deal of water.

Also, if I were to do more than just 2 greens should I have a certain number of males to females?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Wardog View Post
    If your salamander can't get on the land you can try insects honestly. I'd think Millipedes and Hissing Roaches would work you could give them a water bowl and food and they'd never really go to the water part. They possibly could but it's not as likely. Possibly a Praying Mantis if you make it bushy and get fake vines but id say an orchid mantis because they are small. You don't want an insect hunting your salamander. I would look into something like insects. Could you house it with some fish at all? Also there are beetles that you could keep with hissing cockroaches and millipedes too if your a bug guy. I keep giant American Millipedes with my Skinks because they are peaceful and nocturnal. They are also too big for my Skinks to eat. I think some nice vines and UVB for the green tree frog would be good. You could keep small fish like mosquito fish with the tree frog. Of you raise them they will breed fast and if your salamander eats fish they can be a pet in one tank and a food source in the other. Peace Lillies work good too. Many branches also. You want to make a deep thick Forrest for them and to have a good deal of water.

Thanks. I do have a small peace lily in there right now. Plus a pothos, a Passion flower vine, and another plant that I forget the name of. I’m way deeper into the fish world and there is absolutely nothing aquatic I can house my axie. And yes, she NEVER goes on land and never will. There will be lots and lots of plants in the vivarium pretty soon. Just gotta wait for them to grow a bit more.y

And just to be sure, if the axie wasn’t in there, it would be safe to put frogs in? Only 1/4 if the bottom is dirt. The rest it water. And yes. I’m a big person. I have 3 tarantulas an I’ll have more once my parents aren’t in charge of what’s allowed in the house

Bug person not big person. BUGS!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I think about 2-3 inches on the bottom is okay but if you made another island you would be okay. You could keep mosquito fish in that shallow of water. They both are native to America. I wouldn't put a spider in with the salamander because it's risky. But a small orchid mantis or hissing roaches and Millipedes would do well in that island.

Ok thank you!

Thread Information