Thread: Advice on caring for mottled snout-burrower?

Default Advice on caring for mottled snout-burrower?

hi there, i just got one of these frogs (also called the shovel nose frog, but it’s NOT the tree frog) at a reptile expo on saturday. i’ve been keeping frogs for 17 years so i have a generally-good idea on how to care for them, plus the vendor gave me some info but i just want to make sure i’m doing it right.

i have the lil dude(tte) in an enclosure that has the length and width of a 20L aquarium but it is only about 5” tall, specifically for terrestrial species. i have eco earth substrate for it, a very shallow water dish, a log hide and some fake plants for additional cover. i keep the eco earth moist.

what my main question is, is what is the best way to go about feeding this frog? the vendor told me he gives them pinhead crickets, but the smallest available at the expo were 1/4”. so i bought a hundred of those, and have been placing/replacing (so they don’t die) a few in the enclosure nightly. but it’s not eating them. i know it’s only been a few days so i’m not too worried yet, i just want the lil thing to eat! any help is appreciated. thank you.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [Sweden]

Default Re: Advice on caring for mottled snout-burrower?

Tiny mouthes need tiny food
    I have Kaloula pulchra and some banded rubber frogs, with one very small, so I keep runners, the kind that can't climb glass, and the tiny new rouches are small enough for the smallest mouth.
    I also keep tropical dwarf woodlice and my dendrobatids just love those. My kaloulas go after cuban woodlice with ferocity. The banded rubber frogs hunt the runners, and the small one get small runners, and the bigger ones get those who aren't longer than 1 cm... about 1/3 inch?
    Crickets are nice but jump and pinheads can end up just about anywhere.

thank you so much for your reply! where do you get these tiny feeders if you don’t mind me asking?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [Sweden]

I actually breed the runners myself. Started with a batch that I was feeding from and they started breeding on their own
    I also breed the woodlice after buying millipedes that had them in the substrate. I know cuban woodlice are commonly sold in starter packs, but that regular woodlice will be fine too, just make sure to breed them for a while before starting to feed from them. Regular woodlice have small "babies" so they will work as food as well if you can't find the tropical dwarf ones.

Thread Information