Thread: Chameleon plant for Eastern American Toad

Question Chameleon plant for Eastern American Toad

Hello, everyone, this is my first post here. I found the forums yesterday after discovering what I believe were soil mites on Lydia, my eastern American toad. The thread I found here was very helpful and led to me spending the day cleaning and remaking her house!

So, my question is whether anyone is familiar with using chameleon plants in their vivarium? And specifically whether it's good with/for American toads? Nothing I read about it online suggested otherwise to me. It's an Asian edible with a slightly fishy flavour, leading to its nickname of fish mint.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Chameleon plant for Eastern American Toad

Welcome to the forum!

Although I am not familiar with plants for Cham vivariums, it would be fair to assume that the plants are safe to use since most Toads are strictly insectivores and wouldn't even bother eating the plants. As long as the plants don't contain any pesticides/harmful chemicals or parasites, I don't really see a problem with using them. Plus, if their safe for Chams, then it would probably be safe for Toads.

4. This member thanks powerstare for this post:

I honestly don't know if they're safe for chameleons, that's just the name of the plant. Scientifically, Houttuynia cordata

Thank you! This is a load off my mind!

I attached a photo of Lydia and the chameleon plants in her newly arranged house
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I don't know why the photo is upside down.... T.T

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

The toad in the picture is a female
    Quote Originally Posted by LydiasMom View Post
    I honestly don't know if they're safe for chameleons, that's just the name of the plant. Scientifically, Houttuynia cordata

Thank you! This is a load off my mind!

I attached a photo of Lydia and the chameleon plants in her newly arranged house
    Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Wardog View Post
    The toad in the picture is a female

Thus her name being Lydia and my referring to her by female pronouns.

Unless the forums has an algorithm that analyses photos, detects the sex of the animal in them and, if female, turns the photo upside down, I'm not sure why you posted that?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I'm not sure why me taking the time to say you had a female toad would offend you?

I'm not sure why me taking the time to say you had a female toad would offend you?

I'm utterly baffled as to why you did so, at all. Given her being female was already clearly established.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I'm utterly baffled as to why you did so, at all. Given her being female was already clearly established.
    I've never met anyone on this forum that would get offended by someone commenting their amphibians sex that's a first for me. Just be careful how you respond to people because it can discourage someone from responding to you.

I've never met anyone on this forum that would get offended by someone commenting their amphibians sex that's a first for me. Just be careful how you respond to people because it can discourage someone from responding to you.

You should as well, your post came across badly, ignoring the information requested in the OP and instead offering a flat piece of basic information that was clearly already known. It appears rather condescending.

Especially coupled with the first post from you I read here where you wrote a page worth of text to another forumite to say you had the information he was requesting, but refused to share it. Why bother responding at all?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

You should as well, your post came across badly, ignoring the information requested in the OP and instead offering a flat piece of basic information that was clearly already known. It appears rather condescending.

Especially coupled with the first post from you I read here where you wrote a page worth of text to another forumite to say you had the information he was requesting, but refused to share it. Why bother responding at all?
    I don't think I have to worry about my status on the forum as I've been here for years and helped numerous people and then joined other forums and helped even more people so I'm not worried about people writing me back. I think you came off as rude and ungrateful even though someone took the time to comment anything on your post you acted hostile. I will answer people with the advice I have for them like the thread on the gray tree frog that had MBD they asked for help from the forum but the thread of a person asking for a book I wasn't going offer advice if they wanted a book lol. I believe you missed the point of my response. I told them if they needed help I can help them and said that sometimes it's good to get opinions from others who keep the same species. Why would you join a public forum and act hostile towards people? Especially being new to a forum

I don't think I have to worry about my status on the forum as I've been here for years and helped numerous people and then joined other forums and helped even more people so I'm not worried about people writing me back. I think you came off as rude and ungrateful even though someone took the time to comment anything on your post you acted hostile. I will answer people with the advice I have for them like the thread on the gray tree frog that had MBD they asked for help from the forum but the thread of a person asking for a book I wasn't going offer advice if they wanted a book lol. I believe you missed the point of my response. I told them if they needed help I can help them and said that sometimes it's good to get opinions from others who keep the same species. Why would you join a public forum and act hostile towards people? Especially being new to a forum

I was actually referring to the guy asking for specific help regarding companions for an American toad.

I don't know what to tell you if you consider someone pointing out your post was condescending as hostile. Or thinking that I should be grateful for said condescending post being entirely off topic in my thread asking for plant advice

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I was actually referring to the guy asking for specific help regarding companions for an American toad.

I don't know what to tell you if you consider someone pointing out your post was condescending as hostile. Or thinking that I should be grateful for said condescending post being entirely off topic in my thread asking for plant advice
    You missed the point of that post also because if you have to ask what you can keep you shouldn't keep it and they understood that. I wasn't mean and I gave a lot of reasons why the person shouldn't mix species. They needed to see how difficult it was and that was an answer to the question it's not just a simple no some people want to know why and I wasn't telling someone what works with toads because they should be the one telling me for the sake of the other animal. A mixed species setup has to always be shared not favoring the toad and then giving little care to the other animal. If you have to ask you shouldn't do it for the sake of mixing species. You are hostile because in the years of being on this forum I have created threads and been a part of others threads where people have made comments that were off topic and there was never a case of someone becoming hostile. I'm not going to continue to argue with you if you want to always be right I'll leave you to it. Best of luck to you.

Thread Information