Thread: worst nightmare BROKEN BONE/SHARP POINT FROM SIDE

Exclamation worst nightmare BROKEN BONE/SHARP POINT FROM SIDE

OH LORD, please help I went to check on my baby, I'd already seen her earlier in the night and she was fine, look in and she in her water bowl with a SHARP point sticking out of her side and threatening to break the skin, it looked like it was closer to the back legs but when she moved (she was afraid) it looked like it was closer to the front, there's nothing in the tank for her to swallow, it's just coco fiber, she seemed healthy otherwise but weirdly active today, I think she tried to hop into her bowl and snapped something on the side, Pay was cut a month after we got her and there are no trustworthy vets in driving distance anyway, is there ANYTHING I can do? ??
    Is this it? She's just a baby, she's my first frog, she's had so much trouble already I thought I finally had her set up right, there's got to be some chance of recovery... I'm looking at their skeleton and can't figure out what broke, could it be her shoulder fractured? She's in pain, doesn't want to move much but is capable of short hops, what are the chances she punctured something?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Unhappy Re: worst nightmare BROKEN BONE/SHARP POINT FROM SIDE

The lip of her waterdish is the same height as she is and surrounded by coco fiber but apparently not enough, there was a rock for climbing in and out but she just hopped, I changed it because it seemed safer than the tiny bowl she had before, she kept fowling it and soaking in her own leavings..I was so wrong..

Default Re: worst nightmare BROKEN BONE/SHARP POINT FROM SIDE

I can't find any photos of something like this!!! I can't take one either, she will spook and move and make it worse, this dart frog is the closest thing https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/ge...gn-object.html

It looks like that but SHARPER and sticking farther out, also my frog is acting hurt while this one seemed fine otherwise.

Will it slide back into place? Should I try to move her? ohogod..

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Provide a photo of the problem, easier to diagnose. The likelihood of a bone broken in that way is extremely small, look at a photo of a frogs skeletal system. If it's a protrusion on the frogs right side, it's very likely just a large poop in it's intestinal tract, possibly impacted.

7. This member thanks Thevacantface for this post:

Thank you for replying so quick!!!
    I went to get a photo but her fat is concealing it now, she had puffed up defensively and now it's like she has two deflated bags on either side, the water is supporting her a little, it's odd.. my camera couldn't capture it, she's stepped back into the water, breathing okay..

Could an impaction be that sharp? I thought it was a rib before I found out they don't have any, but it did seem to shift like a poo

I can't believe I'm hoping for impaction..that I can treat..

Left, it's on her left..

My battery is running out, I'll try to find the cord but may not be able too, I won't be able to reply but I can still see any comments on my phone, still can't get a useful image

If it is a new impaction in her stomach (She was just moved into coco fiber for the first day after being on towel for weeks) can she stay in her tank for now? She seems to want to stay in the bath on her own, temp is usually about 82, it can vary a little but not too far, probably a degree or two warmer today as there's a heat wave

like what Thevacantface said "
    Provide a photo of the problem, easier to diagnose" but i actually think its something he/she ate,it doesn't move right??,its might be a piece of stick or something else,and can you tell me what substrate do you use???

13. This member thanks roger5164 for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

If it's the frog's left side, then it's the stomach. My guess, based on the link you provided is that the frog ate something that was sharp or hard that poked through the stomach and is now trying to migrate out through the skin. Meal worms and super worm both provide a high risk of this due to their hard somewhat sharp exoskeletons, as to fully mature crickets if the frog is very young.

15. This member thanks Thevacantface for this post:

If it pokes through is she capable of healing? I have neosporin (without numbing) ready to prevent infection and added a drop of honey to her bath when I changed the water. She left the water bowl sometime today and burrowed, she's puffed up from soaking so I can't see it anymore, still responsive. She left two half pea sized greyish poos in the waterdish (no food for a while, comes out clearer).
    Here is an image of her from this afternoon. I will check again in a few hours.
    Attachment 79797

She had eaten a couple superworms over the week while waiting for new crickets, her substrate is cocofiber and before that it was papertowel, there was a spoon or two of cocofiber in one corner but she didn't use it. I haven't touched it again but it did feel fairly immovable other than shifting with her position a little.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Member needs to set country!

How is she doing? As others have mentioned, it is likely to be a foreign body. It'd hard to say what it could possibly be, sometimes there are long strands of fiber in coconut husk, but they are very flexible, so I doubt they would have enough strength to stick out as you describe (though in the comparative thread you linked, it did turn out the frog had swallowed coconut fiber, so it is still likely). I'm sort of doubting the superworms as you say it's a sharp point, which sort of leaves us scratching our head for possibilities.

Has the point migrated at all since? How thick does the object look? How is her behavior? I'm struggling to think of ways to repair this as a vet is not a viable option and the only sure thing I can think of (removal) seems too risky to do, but it may be the only option if it persists. I'm simply not sure of the outcome and how to progress from that point, either. Perhaps someone with more experience can help. I'm terribly sorry this happened to your girl.

The only other thing I can think of is to try to feed her soft things (nightcrawlers) to try to pad the object and move it through, but there are a series of factors which can complicate this idea. If others want to weigh in on the feasibility of this, it would be much appreciated.

18. This member thanks Bynny Ribbit for this post:

Red face Re: worst nightmare BROKEN BONE/SHARP POINT FROM SIDE

Thanks for the reply I'm still worried but she seems to be doing much better!

The object never punctured through and left no bruising, it must still be in there but has shifted or is being digested. She's no longer showing signs of discomfort or having noticeable trouble moving.
    Due to her puffing up defensively and hiding I wasn't able to get another good look before the point had disappeared, she moved to the water dish on her own each day and I added a drop of honey once. She had another small greyish poo, maybe bits of the object are slowly passing through? She's been very active the last couple of days, digging two burrows hunting and soaking, I did feed her a small slightly soft dubia roach with plenty of CA powder and she chased the thing down (her first roach and much needed supplements), she will not take nightcrawlers even cut up but crunched the dubia thoroughly, actually chewed on it a little. I'll have small crickets available soon but will wait to see how she passes everything before offering anything else. Actually her eating the dubia gives me hope she might be opening up to new foods but she was also extremely hungry.

While changing her water I found a superworm pupa squeezed under the dish, I must have missed the worm when cleaning but if there was one there could have been another, they're soft bodied but have sharp pointed tails and chitinous legs, maybe that paired with a mouthful of coco fiber was enough to do it?

I don't know if this works for frogs but has anyone tried a soft bodied bug with s little mineral oil before? I did that for my leopard gecko once but I'm not about to experiment.

Again still really worried, this frog has had a truly terrible time and multiple problems and stresses throughout the last few months, but still she's showing signs of improvement so I think there's hope..
    I've found someone who will trade me hundreds of new born crickets for some dubias so I won't run out or have to rely on the petstore again, long as she just pulls through!

Thread Information