Thread: worst nightmare BROKEN BONE/SHARP POINT FROM SIDE

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation worst nightmare BROKEN BONE/SHARP POINT FROM SIDE

OH LORD, please help I went to check on my baby, I'd already seen her earlier in the night and she was fine, look in and she in her water bowl with a SHARP point sticking out of her side and threatening to break the skin, it looked like it was closer to the back legs but when she moved (she was afraid) it looked like it was closer to the front, there's nothing in the tank for her to swallow, it's just coco fiber, she seemed healthy otherwise but weirdly active today, I think she tried to hop into her bowl and snapped something on the side, Pay was cut a month after we got her and there are no trustworthy vets in driving distance anyway, is there ANYTHING I can do? ??
    Is this it? She's just a baby, she's my first frog, she's had so much trouble already I thought I finally had her set up right, there's got to be some chance of recovery... I'm looking at their skeleton and can't figure out what broke, could it be her shoulder fractured? She's in pain, doesn't want to move much but is capable of short hops, what are the chances she punctured something?

Unhappy Re: worst nightmare BROKEN BONE/SHARP POINT FROM SIDE

The lip of her waterdish is the same height as she is and surrounded by coco fiber but apparently not enough, there was a rock for climbing in and out but she just hopped, I changed it because it seemed safer than the tiny bowl she had before, she kept fowling it and soaking in her own leavings..I was so wrong..

Default Re: worst nightmare BROKEN BONE/SHARP POINT FROM SIDE

I can't find any photos of something like this!!! I can't take one either, she will spook and move and make it worse, this dart frog is the closest thing https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/ge...gn-object.html

It looks like that but SHARPER and sticking farther out, also my frog is acting hurt while this one seemed fine otherwise.

Will it slide back into place? Should I try to move her? ohogod..

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Provide a photo of the problem, easier to diagnose. The likelihood of a bone broken in that way is extremely small, look at a photo of a frogs skeletal system. If it's a protrusion on the frogs right side, it's very likely just a large poop in it's intestinal tract, possibly impacted.

6. This member thanks Thevacantface for this post:

Thank you for replying so quick!!!
    I went to get a photo but her fat is concealing it now, she had puffed up defensively and now it's like she has two deflated bags on either side, the water is supporting her a little, it's odd.. my camera couldn't capture it, she's stepped back into the water, breathing okay..

Could an impaction be that sharp? I thought it was a rib before I found out they don't have any, but it did seem to shift like a poo

I can't believe I'm hoping for impaction..that I can treat..

Left, it's on her left..

My battery is running out, I'll try to find the cord but may not be able too, I won't be able to reply but I can still see any comments on my phone, still can't get a useful image

If it is a new impaction in her stomach (She was just moved into coco fiber for the first day after being on towel for weeks) can she stay in her tank for now? She seems to want to stay in the bath on her own, temp is usually about 82, it can vary a little but not too far, probably a degree or two warmer today as there's a heat wave

Thread Information