Thread: American Toad compatibility question.

Default American Toad compatibility question.

Right now I have an American toad kept in a 20gal tank, however I have my eye on a large 50gal on clearance at work for like $35. I am considering starting up a habitat with multiple diffrent species, but have yet to do too much research into it. I was wondering if anyone has had any luck housing American toads with other species of anykind, or if it wouldn't be a good idea and I should just keep him in his own enclosure. I have no specific species in mind that I want, ive just always wanted an enclosure with a variety of diffrent animals.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: American Toad compatibility question.

Quote Originally Posted by Denis The Bug View Post
    Right now I have an American toad kept in a 20gal tank, however I have my eye on a large 50gal on clearance at work for like $35. I am considering starting up a habitat with multiple diffrent species, but have yet to do too much research into it. I was wondering if anyone has had any luck housing American toads with other species of anykind, or if it wouldn't be a good idea and I should just keep him in his own enclosure. I have no specific species in mind that I want, ive just always wanted an enclosure with a variety of diffrent animals.
    This is a very good question. A lot of people will say no don't add toads and other animals together but the toads aren't the problem. It's usually the other animal. There are a few animals I know of that will work that can live with toads I can think of 7 but I'm not going to tell you. I have a mixed species tank with American Toads and I'm going to make a care sheet for these toads specifically and talk about it but I'm not going to encourage people to have other animals with them. The reason why I'm not telling you is because you need to spend a lot of time researching the animals and you need to like something just as much as the toad. It can't be the toads and then the other animal. You need to spend months or even years to research your toad and the other animal.

The question should never be what works with a... If you will have a mixed species tank you have to do the research and tell us what you are doing and be ready to explain what you want to do with them. Then people will want to help you or if your two species might not work or people are curious they will ask you questions about it.

Your tank would be good for two adult toads. Trust me I have a 125 gallon and after all of the years of research you want a 4-6 foot long tank for them. That's good for 2-3 toads for the floor space. I have a male toad who is the size of females I never ever saw a male his size and if he's that big and a female gets bigger for them to be able to run around you would need a much bigger setup to accommodate more then 2 toads and another species with a 50 gallon but I advise you to just get the 50 gallon and collect a female or the opposite sex of yours. The toad will be happy in that size tank with a mate the most.

I'm not trying to discourage you but I want what's best for the animals and if you choose to house them with other animals I wish you the best and I'll be watching to see what you would decide. But from my humble opinion of keeping them over 12 years I think that's the way to go about it is to inform yourself and research so you can truly make the animals happy.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Thread Information