Thread: Question about eggcrate

Question Question about eggcrate

I have a potentially odd or dumb question:

I was wondering if anyone had any idea on the strength or how much weight it (eggcrate) can support?

Don't worry, I can explain.
    I have posted in here a few times I think about my Leopard frog (possibly southern) and her habitat. She used to be in a 20 gallon long tank but this past October I finally got a 40 gallon (the entire ZooMed 40 gallon aquatic turtle kit to be exact) set up for her. She is doing really well and is active. The set up now is basically a large layer of hydroballs under a layer of gravel for the land side, and a gravel bottomed water area. It's about half and half with a canister filter and water heater on the water side.

( The lights will come on in a few hours so I will upload a current image then)

Now why I'm asking about eggcrate:
    I have a new design for a tank layout, one that makes the land area more like a dock-looking structure allowing for more swimming area. I was hoping to make it out of some eggcrate, hydroballs, and plastic craft mesh; putting hyrohydrob in the gaps in the eggcrate, and then super gluing the craft mesh on top and bottom. There would be some gravel substrate on top of this shelf and, depending on how much support it may need for the extra weight, 4 or more support structures underneath. It would not need to be a lot of gravel, just enough for her to move around as she sees fit to make hills and valleys. I'm thinking of providing a cork bark hide for shelter and some plants (her favorite seems to be pothos) that can grow hydroponically for additional cover. The water will also be planted for more cover.

TL;DR I want to know how much extra support I may have to provide, if any, to this eggcrate dock.

I have seen builds that use eggcrate as scaffolding, and then I believe they use Great Stuff or in a similar product on the egg crate and then sculpt it when it dries. I do like how these builds look after they're all set up, I currently don't think I could make something like that work given my current physical/spatial limitations and living situation. I only have access to some pretty basic hand tools as well.

I'm sorry if there's any typos, I use speech to text a lot to help me type things, and sometimes is there is wacky errors I don't notice when I read through it quick. Please ask me any questions and I will attempt to clarify anything that might seem a bit strange. I can also provide a rough sketch of what I was thinking for this dock idea.

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Question about eggcrate

I'm very sorry for the double post. But for some reason (perhaps I simply cannot see it or find it). I'm unable to edit my original post.

I am here to post a picture of my frog's current habitat.
    Name:  IMG_20180628_145109.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  3.17 MB

I know it's a bit of a mess and there's hard water stains here and there, but it is what it is.

Sorry again for the double post

EDIT:
    Here are some very rough ideas of what I am thinking design wise. The grey is meant to signify a bit of slate;eitber to make a place she can easily get out if the water if the level gets too low rom evaporation or extra support for the eggcrate sandwich. I also plan on making the dock slant upward from the wall so she can find the surface better.
    Name:  sketch-1530217479564.png
Views: 109
Size:  135.5 KB

Name:  sketch-1530217488271.png
Views: 122
Size:  131.7 KB

The spacing and amount of supports will very depending on what I can find out.
    Last edited by Magoop; June 28th, 2018 at 03:34 PM. Reason: I messed up with the images

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [Sweden]

You should look at some designs made for turtles. Many of their designs use eggcrate and pvc for support. Turtles are usually heavier than frogs, so that should give you an idea on how much you need for your suports.

EDIT: I also thought about the glue gun bit... I'm not sure how well gluegunglue will hold up in water. I would stitch things together using fishing line and maybe just glue the knots to secure them.

Thank you so much for the reply, I will definitely look into those!
    I was mostly looking at aquarium safe silicone and fishing line, but I'll see how they make the turtle ones

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [Sweden]

This might help: http://www.turtleforum.com/forum/upl...and-equipment/
    I'm a member and they are very helpful. I can pass along questions if you have any.

Quote Originally Posted by Reptilian Feline View Post
    This might help: http://www.turtleforum.com/forum/upl...and-equipment/
    I'm a member and they are very helpful. I can pass along questions if you have any.
    I'll be sure to give that link a look through. The main issue I had about weight was I wanted to put a barrier between the egg crate and a layer of a little gravel substrate and something like frog moss; nothing super duper heavy, but I know that kind of stuff can add up.
    The only other things I was concerned about in using PVC pipe: will it be too buoyant and if there would be any issue with water being inside the pipes and getting stagnant or making a place for all kinds of bacteria I may not want.
    Again, thanks. This should definitely help me out, I'll get to looking right away!

(I can't edit my previous post again, sorry)
    After looking at some pictures and some of BauriBob's videos, I have answered the question of how to weight it down and the rough idea of what I need. I see he uses zip ties, and I'll be sure to pick some up as well as maybe sand.
    The only thing that I can think of is do you use any glue or seakans on in the elbows and bends of the pipe? Will the aquarium safe crazy glue be fine or should I use like an aquarium silicone?

As it stands now this build is a lot chwache than I would have thought. I should have some money left over for a nice chunk of wood !

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [Sweden]

Some pvc pipes have locking elbows, but a spot of glue wouldn't hurt if it's permanent. I haven't tried aquarium safe crazy glue, but if it say aquarium safe it should be OK.

Be sure to post opictures when you're done

Thread Information