Thread: Baby Toad is a bubble?? Weirdest thing I have ever seen!!!

Default Baby Toad is a bubble?? Weirdest thing I have ever seen!!!

Okay. So I have raised tadpoles for a couple years now. This year I kept three, one in a 3 gallon aquarium, and 2 in a ten gallon aquarium. I would like to be clear that I have spring water, and I made sure I did my 50% water changes. In the ten gallon my 2 tadpoles turned into little toads, as expected. In my 3 gallon, the one tadpole did something so incredibly bizarre I don’t even know how to describe it. It began growing back legs, as usual. Then front legs, as usual. After it’s front legs popped out, I left for 3 days. When I came back, it was floating upside down in the water.

I left plenty of places for it leave the water, and my other toads left the water fine. So I have no idea why it wouldn’t leave the water. But I found it belly up, floating by my aquatic plants. It no longer had a tail, just a stub. I quickly took it out of the water, and set it on a wet paper towel. It’s body was completely swelled, it looked like a water ballon, it’s tiny legs could barely keep this giant baby toad upright. He appeared to be in a giant clear bubble. He kind of moves his tiny legs around. He has two tiny eyes, and a clear bubble around him. With 4 small legs. Will he survive the night? I am completely clueless on what to do? My other two toads are very happy, and eat a lot! I have attached some pics. One is of my healthy toad for comparison.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [Sweden]

Default Re: Baby Toad is a bubble?? Weirdest thing I have ever seen!!!

I have never seen anything like it! Can you put it in a shallow water dish without it falling on its back? I'm thinking, water, moisture, and maybe it can come out of its bubble on its own?

I think it’s skin is the outside of the bubble, and water is trapped between the skin and the rest of its body. I have it in a tiny, tiny amount of water, just enough for it’s feet to be wet. I am wondering if he will be like this forever? Eventually he will die right? I can’t even imagine how to feed this water ballon with a face!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [Sweden]

Water between the skin and the body? Like a huge blister then. Well, assuming it will most likely not make it, can yoiu drain the water/fluid with a tiny surringe?

He is still alive, but this morning he was on his back in his tank, he must do it on purpose, because he is on land. He is just about the same as last night.

i don’t trust myself with a needle. So I think it’s a no on syringe.

weird question, do you think whatever it is might evaporate/pop on its own?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [Sweden]

It might, but if he can't eat, he might not last long enough.

Nationality
    [United States]

How's the little guy/gal doing? Did it make it? I've never seen this.

He is getting skinnier?? I am not sure what is going on but he is getting better I think. I will keep you posted. He have started to slim down a tiny bit. Just a tiny bit. Though, the ‘water’ inside him is no longer clear, and he doesn’t look see through. I put springtails inside the tank. So I don’t know if he is getting food, but it’s there. It really can’t move really much, he just wiggles around. His skin is super sticky. I am super confused on what’s going on. But I think it’s a permanent thing.

edit: he can open his mouth, and makes some facial expressions. He really doesn’t have mobility in his front legs, because of his weight. Still has bubble shape, and his back legs puffed up a bit.

10. This member thanks Umplumpa for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Unfortunately, sometimes you just get these little genetic weirdos. It looks like an issue with fluid retention. Keep us updated!

Thread Information