Thread: Question (basic)

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Question (basic)

So I know this is a really stupid question... But I will ask it anyway. If I have UVB lighting on top of my frog and closers then the supplements fed must not contain vitamin D3. Correct?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Question (basic)

That’s actually a great question. Unfortunately the relationship between uvb and vitamin d synthesis is poorly understood in amphibians. It may even vary significantly between species. For example species such as litoria aurea (green and gold bell frog) which actively bask in nature may benefit from both. However species such as ceratophrys (horned frogs) may show no benefit or possible adverse effects. It’s still a concept under study. Remember vitamins such as A and D can be overdosed so I would use descretion.

An interesting example of supplemental variation between species is found in chameleons. Recently it was found that montane species of chameleon require low d supplementation as they metabolizes d3 differently from other chameleon species. However the metabolism of vitamins and the need for uvb is better understood in reptiles.

Which species are you keeping? What type of uvb bulb are you using? How old is the bulb and how high is it above the substrate?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by DanDrobates View Post
    That’s actually a great question. Unfortunately the relationship between uvb and vitamin d synthesis is poorly understood in amphibians. It may even vary significantly between species. For example species such as litoria aurea (green and gold bell frog) which actively bask in nature may benefit from both. However species such as ceratophrys (horned frogs) may show no benefit or possible adverse effects. It’s still a concept under study. Remember vitamins such as A and D can be overdosed so I would use descretion.

An interesting example of supplemental variation between species is found in chameleons. Recently it was found that montane species of chameleon require low d supplementation as they metabolizes d3 differently from other chameleon species. However the metabolism of vitamins and the need for uvb is better understood in reptiles.

Which species are you keeping? What type of uvb bulb are you using? How old is the bulb and how high is it above the substrate?
    I apologize that it is taking so long for me to get back to you today and appreciate your urgency in your response. So... the specific species of frogs that I am using UVB with at the moment are D. Tinctorius "Cobalt" and Epipedobates Tricolor (Anthonii)- both dart frogs. The bulb (s) being used are about 6 m9nths old and I am aware of the fact that uvb is something that "needs replaced" every 9 months to a year. The specific ones I am using are zoomed aqua sun HO, and also I think they are Zoomed 2.0 bulbs (18") and the tubes are approx. 15"-18" away from substrate and the Aqua Sun GO about 13"-15" from substrate. Plz ask anything else u want to know beyond that as well...and give me thoughts plz. Thank u!

Nationality
    [United States]

Ok no problem. I keep all my darts with no uvb and I supplement with repashy supercal 3 times per week, reptivite once a week and repashy vitamin A once a month. So far I’ve had no issues and I keep close to 15 individual dart frogs including tinctorius. Most darts occupy the forest floor (with some exceptions) and very little light filters down there anyway so I doubt the need for additional uvb. Ultimately it’s a personal choice but it may be wise to just use calcium without added d3 if they have access to supplemental uvb lighting. To my knowledge uvb isn’t commonly used for darts anyway. The bulbs lose efficiency and most vivariums including my own have modified glass tops that limit and almost eliminate the passage of uvb into the enclosure.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by DanDrobates View Post
    Ok no problem. I keep all my darts with no uvb and I supplement with repashy supercal 3 times per week, reptivite once a week and repashy vitamin A once a month. So far I’ve had no issues and I keep close to 15 individual dart frogs including tinctorius. Most darts occupy the forest floor (with some exceptions) and very little light filters down there anyway so I doubt the need for additional uvb. Ultimately it’s a personal choice but it may be wise to just use calcium without added d3 if they have access to supplemental uvb lighting. To my knowledge uvb isn’t commonly used for darts anyway. The bulbs lose efficiency and most vivariums including my own have modified glass tops that limit and almost eliminate the passage of uvb into the enclosure.
    I understand and AGREE with where you are coming from. It s a situation where I am just using lighting 5hat was for reptiles, and just should work on getting some other sort of bulbs that will better suit my Darts. Easy fix....as I also have others such as Amazon Milk frogs that will benefit from UVB (because no shortage of babies from those guys lol). Thanks so much!

Nationality
    [United States]

No problem my pleasure.

Thread Information