Thread: I think there might be something wrong with Tinkerbell's face

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [Sweden]

Default I think there might be something wrong with Tinkerbell's face

My hubby used to keep a giant adult male pixie years ago. Unfortunately it died a long time ago but the giant frog stuck to my mind and when I got the chance to buy one of my own, I did. I found the cutest little pixie and named "her" Tinkerbell, thinking that the name would be hillaroius if it turned out to be male. It did look like it hade the nose of the barfly from Simpsons though. I didn't think much about it, until I decided to feed her in a feeding box rather than her enclosure.
    She has trouble picking up the food, and doesn't seem to use her tongue, but she doesn try and try and try. I've started to help her by lifting the food with a spoon and after two feedings, she now reacts to the spoon rather than the food.

I don't mind helping her feed, but I would like to know if anyone has come across this before and know what it is.
    Here are some pictures:
    ..... or would be if there was an OK button for adding files from my computer.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [Sweden]

Default Re: I think there might be something wrong with Tinkerbell's face

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Looks like an edulis, which have a kind of goofy face to begin with, but I have a pacman with a similar condition who was severely malnourished for the first 6 months of it's life, resulting in deformations and metabolic bone disease. Issue is probably permanent, and the frog may need a bit of help feeding for the rest of it's life, but might learn to catch it's dinner. Provide plenty of food always dusted with calcium and vitamins, if the frog is still growing some of it may correct itself with proper nutrition.

5. This member thanks Thevacantface for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [Sweden]

I can see what you mean with edulis. If it is the dwarf bullfrog, at what size is it possible to tell the gender?

"She" is very good at not giving up, and has now moved from spoon feeding to being given super worms with my hands. I'm thinking I should be able to move on to feeding her strips of beef dipped in supplement.

She was sold to me as a pixie, and the shop keeper is nice but doesn't always see if the supplier has mislabled the animals. I got her cheap because of a mislabled tarantula I bought before, but if he bought her as a giant, I should tell him so he can get the proper ones. And if I try to find a mate, I need of course to get the right one.

Do dwarf pixies have smaller tongues than giants? She doesn't seem to be able to catch the food with her tongue.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Not sure when you can really tell gender on them, especially with malnourishment and stunted growth, some of the classic signs might be diminished. My pacman is female, but is the size of a typical male.

Both edulis and adspersus are "Pyxie" frogs, just one is the giant African bullfrog and the other is dwarf giant African bullfrog, still pretty good sized regardless of the dwarf name. I think I've heard they can at time hybridize so that would mean they are closely related. Breeding these frogs isn't an easy task and should be left to professionals, and how food aggressive they are you shouldn't keep them together or one may get attacked or eaten.

The tounge thing is another symptom of vitamin deficiency, should start working with some supplementation and time. Superworms/mealworms are not a great food source for these guys, the hard exoskeleton can cause digestive problems and impaction risks. Looks a little on the small side at the moment but nightcrawlers are a great food, and pick up vitamin powders really well, avoid red wigglers, they apparently taste bad and can turn the frog off to eating worms. Dubia roaches are an awesome food option, somewhat easy to raise once established, don't smell bad like crickets do, and will eat vegetable scraps and can be gut loaded with supplements.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [Sweden]

The dubias are a bit "flat" and hard to hand feed to her, but I might be able to get her to take prekilled ones. I have dubias, and runners of all sizes. The worms were just so much easier to give her, but I understand the impaction, and that they are too fat for a regular food source.

Thread Information