Thread: Fattening up skinny FBTs

Default Fattening up skinny FBTs

So I have two toads that have been pretty skinny for a while. I recently got them from someone who has fed them only mealworms, which I know isn’t a good idea, and I’d like to know what feeders will help fatten them up to a better weight. They are VERY active and responsive and eager to eat, but I’m worried they may possibly have parasites because they aren’t gaining weight. Any advice on what I should do? I have two in a 10 gallon filtered tank with a land area, if that’s of any importance. Thank you!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Fattening up skinny FBTs

FBTs are heavily imported from wild caught populations so parasites are possible. The only way to tell would be to get a fecal. However, stress can weaken an animals tolerance towards parasites that would otherwise cause no noticeable issues. Even healthy wild caught animals in all likelihood have parasites. If they are active and eating give them some time. I don’t know what type of care they received prior to you acquiring them but that may be the reason for their condition.As far as diet goes I’m a big proponent of 1/4 inch gutloaded crickets as a staple diet. Black soldier fly larvae are great too. Wax worms can add a little extra fat as an occasional supplement to beef them up. Good luck.

Heya, crickets are good sometimes have to be hand fed, or you can remove a back leg or two. Garden worms I think best for fattening also waxy worms will work.

Thanks for the advice!! I recently got crickets amd they seem to be enjoying it! Plan on trying out those other feeders as well. Thanks again!

Thank you!! I’ll definitely look into those! Never tried garden worms before so this’ll be fun to try!

Thread Information