Thread: First honey bath

Default First honey bath

So I got a juvenile Pacman frog at a reptile expo on Sunday. I believe he has eaten 8 Dubai roaches since, and has not pooped yet. He’s been burrowed since yesterday morning so today I dug him up to give him a honey bath. No poop from the bath and now he has completely burrowed himself back under the substrate....could he maybe be stressed from the bath so he’s burrowed? Hopefully he poops soon....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: First honey bath

I’ve noticed that people tend to panic if their frog doesn’t defecate constantly. Since you’ve only had it since Sunday I wouldn’t be so concerned yet. The Ceratophrys genus does have slower metabolisms than other genera and species. I’d give it time to acclimate. Also depending on the size of the dubia it may take longer to pass. Male dubia with wings take a bit longer to make their way out from my own observations. Can you describe your setup and the size of the frog? Do you have a dish in the enclosure that the frog can choose to soak in on its own? What type of substrate are you using and how deep? What is the temperature? Do you have a temperature gradient?

The frog is in a 10 gallon tank with coconut fiber for substrate. The substrate is about 1 inch deep, and the frog is about 1 inch or slightly longer. There is a soaking dish that has shallow water but I don't think he's used it yet. The temps in the tank are about 82 F during the day and 72-74 F at night. The humidity is between 60-80% usually around 70-75% most of the time. I've never fed dubia's to any of my frogs before, I have 3 firebellies and had a pacman frog before who died, so maybe they take longer to pass than crickets or worms. I think I'm just slightly paranoid because my last Pacman died after just a few weeks being totally healthy for no apparent reason. I got it from Petsmart and many people told me that this could be the reason and that I should buy one from a breeder at a reptile expo.

Member needs to set country!

I would give it time. It took my pacman I think 3 weeks before she pooped when I first got her? I think if it goes on to 2-3 weeks, then you can pursue with honey baths, but I would let the little guy acclimate to its new home first.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Your husbandry sounds fine. I wouldn’t worry. Also froglets that size don’t typically produce massive poops. 10 gallons is a bit big so offer some cover like a slab of cork bark. That may provide some security and less burrowing.

There’s a pretty big log cover thing in the tank that he went under when I first put him in there, but now he’s just burrowing in random spots in the tank. I read somewhere on this forum that as long as the temps and humidity are good then you shouldn’t be a helicopter parent and just let the frog be so I’m gonna go with that! Thanks for the reassurance though, it can be needed

Thread Information