Thread: Never again

Default Never again

I had my young pacmans in a tank with all sorts of cool stuff, lots of space, hiding places etc. They were outside on my deck getting fresh warm air. There was prob 2 inches of water in the tank. I walked inside to get a spray bottle and came back to one of the young greens had another young green 4 spot patternless in his mouth. His whole head was clamped down in this guys mouth. I had to pry the greens mouth open to release the patternless who I left could of been dead. He wasn't. His jaw is a little swollen, slightly like a "fat lip". He's comfortable in his own tank now but looks a darker shade of green like I've seen in sick frogs. He seems okay I hope he doesn't have any serious issues like a broken jaw. I hope he makes it though this. They obvs will never bathe together again.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Member needs to set country!

Default Re: Never again

Yikes! That must have been scary.

This is an aggressive species and these frogs definitely resort to cannibalism if it falls under the old frog adage of "if it fits into my mouth, I'm going to try to eat it." Even when breeding these frogs, you have to make sure they're similar sizes because the bigger will always try to eat the smaller one.

So yeah, definitely a species that needs its own space.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Never again

Always keep these guys separated. I had my tortoise who is about 6-7 inches out cruising around on the floor and the frog who isn't any more than 4 inches in his house on the low shelf was going crazy trying to get out to try and eat the tortoise. They will constantly try to get my hand when feeding/cleaning. Even had one eat a mouse that should have stuffed the frog for a week, immediately try to get through the glass of both terrariums to get at the mouse I was feeding to its shelf neighbor. And even if they couldn't eat each other due to size, from experience I can attest that they have very sharp teeth.

Thread Information