Thread: Multiple tree frog passings-help please

Default Multiple tree frog passings-help please

Hi all, new to the forum but not totally new to reptiles and amphibians. First, my current set up is a 36x18x18 exoterra. It’s actually 36 tall now too as we completed an expansion of it a few months ago. It is set up as a paludarium with water across the entire bottom that houses two Axolotl. There is still probably 75% floor space above the water that provides lots of plants for the tree frogs. I started a little over a year ago with three cb baby retf. All three were fine for a long time. This January I purchased a morelets tree frog and added in to the same tank. The gal I bought him from advised ok to house with the retf. They were fine for a couple months then one female retf was found dead in the water. There are vines and such that a frog can get out if needed. A couple weeks other female retf got lethargic and spotty skin and died within a day or two of me noticing symptoms. So, by March I had only the male retf and the male morelets. Both seemed healthy. I then purchased a couple adult retf at a local show in April. Both died within a week. Couldn’t reach the vendor but after researching I am now pretty sure those two were wild caught. Another source I reached out to thought they were probably stressed from the move and bacteria took over and killed them. So, back down to just the one retf and one morelets. Both appeared healthy for the last two months. Yesterday I noticed the morelets looked a little thin and was not clinging to a leaf as usual. Sitting on a leaf, but more standoffish, not sucked onto it. And then I found the morelets treading water this morning and pulled him from the water. Put into a quarantine tank and he died within a few hours. His skin looked fine, not discolored. But more slimy than normal and I did remove some goo from one of his eyes. Now, I have only the one retf in the tank. Any clue what might issue? I don’t want to lose this frog too. He looks good, sleeping on a leaf as usual. He was out and about hunting early thismorning too. So far I think he’s healthy. But, I’m just not sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Multiple tree frog passings-help please

Hey, I'm sorry. In the future, it would be a good idea to keep any new frogs in a separate tank for a while before putting them all together.

I'm afraid I can't help you with knowing the problem, but if you have an exotic vet in your area, I'd try to get your remaining frog checked out and also clean out your tank. It's a pain, but it might help.

Member needs to set country!

I'm very sorry for the loss of so many frogs. In my opinion, it's not a good idea to keep different species together. All frogs, to my knowledge, technically excrete a toxin of some kind. While they may be harmless to us, another frog species may not be so lucky and it could affect them negatively. I'm not sure about the details of RETFs and Morelets or if the amphibian community has tried and successfully kept them together, but I would personally prefer to play it safe with my animals and not mix them.

As for the Axolotls, I find it strange to try and keep them in a tank with frogs. I'm pretty sure they need cooler temperature water? It seems to clash with the frogs' warmer climate needs.

5. 3 members thank Bynny Ribbit for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Axolotls produce a tremendous amount of nitrogenous waste. Have you tested the water in the paludarium for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and ph? Water conditions may have played a role in addition to a likely bacterial infection. It’s always prudent to quarantine new animals and keep different species separate. I’d isolate the remaining frog in separate vivarium ASAP and monitor it closely.

The water temperature for the axies is about 68 degrees which is within their normal range. I test the water frequently with an api test kit and all parameters are good. It’s actually over filtered with a pen plax cascade filter for only about 10 gallons of water and purigen in the canister. Clean water.

As far as the temp in the upper part, I have two digital thermometers to check the top and middle ranges. Day time temps are 72-74 at mid range and 75-77 toward the top. Night time temps drop to 68-72 depending on the day. Humidity is kept around 60 most of the time but does reach up to 90 percent at the wettest times of the day.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Seems like there's no problem with temps. It couldn't hurt to give the tank a good cleaning just in case of bacteria though. I hope your frog will continue to be fine, but you might want to check for any lesions, lethargy, excessive soaking, not eating and so on.

Yes it seems my mistake has been adding new frogs without a proper quarantine. Won’t do that again. I did wipe down all surfaces yesterday with a diluted chlorhexidine solution. Hopefully that will help sanitize the tank. If this current frog continues to live should it be ok to add a few more retf in a couple months. I have three fb babies in a small quarantine tank now and would like them to all live together eventually. They are too small for the giant tank at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information