Thread: Hurt Green Tree frog (hyla cinerea)

Post Hurt Green Tree frog (hyla cinerea)

Hey im new here so sorry if this is posted in the wrong spot. I recently Found a hurt Green in the road in my neighborhood, it was trying to jump but was kinda doing flips instead. I got out to check on it and it looks like its back and front leg on the left side of its body are injured pretty badly. I gently got it home and set up a small tank with a paper towel at the bottom for it. It looks like you can see almost dark red muscle in some spots of its injured legs. it cant move the front leg at all and after closer inspection im pretty sure its broken, but it can move the back leg fine it seems. i set a spare water bowl in there and that same night it climbed in it and soaked for a while, probably between 30 minutes to an hour, I got lucky to have been up late and noticed it in the dish. That was 2 days ago, it's still alive but doesn't really move. I haven't been able to get it to eat any of the medium crickets i keep for my other green. I feel like its a female from its size, seems pretty large. I dont have much experience with hurt amphibians and was hoping for some advise on how to help. If the front leg is broken how much chance is there of it healing? or is amputation the best bet, I'm not overly afraid of doing it but I want some serious recommendations before doing something drastic. Im aware that would mean it would be a permanent resident of the house and am more than willing to take care of it forever afterwards. Vets are kinda out of the question around here most would just as soon laugh at you over a frog than help there are not really anything besides cat and dog vets around here. Hopefully I can post pics soon, Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by KoumeKotake; June 1st, 2018 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Format

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Member needs to set country!

Default Re: Hurt Green Tree frog (hyla cinerea)

A frog won't eat for many situations, but I'm guessing the injury and the stress of a different environment may be why she's refusing food. It might be a good idea to get some Pedialyte and give her a soak in a 10 parts water/1 part Pedialyte solution to see if that helps to stimulate her appetite. I'm not sure what can be done otherwise, there may be internal injuries we don't know about and it makes it difficult to say what will and won't help her. Our member BossFrog has some experience assisting wild frogs and even amputated a leg for it, the thread is here. They might be able to guide you better in what to do.

4. 2 members thank Bynny Ribbit for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bynny Ribbit View Post
    A frog won't eat for many situations, but I'm guessing the injury and the stress of a different environment may be why she's refusing food. It might be a good idea to get some Pedialyte and give her a soak in a 10 parts water/1 part Pedialyte solution to see if that helps to stimulate her appetite. I'm not sure what can be done otherwise, there may be internal injuries we don't know about and it makes it difficult to say what will and won't help her. Our member BossFrog has some experience assisting wild frogs and even amputated a leg for it, the thread is here. They might be able to guide you better in what to do.
    Thanks, I sent BossFrog a message hoping for some some experienced help on the front leg, Ill try to get some pedialyte today and see if it helps!

Awesome! I wish you the best of luck in helping this frog, hopefully once you get over the hump of her not eating and she starts healing, things will get better.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi KoumeKotake, I got your message! Welcome to the forum. Yes, pictures would really help, from what you said about the back leg that the frog can still move it, the back leg is likely to survive if it's just flesh wounds. You may want to try gently dabbing some Neosporin(Without painkillers as they can kill the frog) on both injured legs. The front leg may heal on its own if it doesn't get infected. Amputation might be the best thing though, but be careful. All frogs are different. What worked well for mine could kill yours, or what would have been worse for my frog may save your frog's life. How long is the frog when sitting? Pictures are always appreciated so we know exactly what we're dealing with! If you want to know how to amputate I'll post that too. Keep us posted and good luck!

Alright I'm really sorry I haven't been able to post pictures, had some phone problems. The hurt spots that looked like blood red muscle have turned pink and look to be healing, I used some of the antibiotic ointment on him, hes been soaking and croaking occasionally which I take as a good sign. I threw a cricket in there tonight and its no where to be seen after about an hour so I think hes making a full recovery. Beyond excited and happy he seems to have pulled through. Gonna wait and see if the front leg heals in a good position and then decide if its his best interest to keep him or not. (gonna be hard to let him go back to the dangerous wild)

Nationality
    [United States]

That's awesome! Great job, you definitely saved his life Keep us posted!

Glad to read he is doing better! As for keeping him or not, letting him heal up and observing his abilities will be a great way to determine if he would do well in the wild or not.

Nationality
    [United States]

How's little frog doing today?

Thread Information