Thread: what should i use?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default what should i use?

i have talked to other pacman frog owners and there is a difference on opinion on whether to use under the tank heaters, ceramic heat emitter bulbs or low wattage night time bulbs.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: what should i use?

I'm frankly not a big fan of any and I'll explain why. A reasonable ambient temperature in the mid to upper 70's is a generally safe place to be. If you can keep this temperature without supplemental heat believe me you will be fine. Most people tend to keep ceratophrys species in small enclosures since they don't move much. The problem here is that the animal is limited in terms of thermoregulation since it cant move around much. Just because they come from a hot area does not mean they like it hot all the time. Frogs in nature will typically burrow to reach a cooler spot if the ambient temperature goes too high. If upon burrowing they reach an under tank heater they will risk a thermal burn and likely be stressed. Ceramic bulbs can work but need to be monitored since they can be much hotter than intended. I also favor normal day/night cycles so something should be providing a period of light and darkness. If you need to keep the temperature in normal range for one of these species I would provide a gradient with one side warmer one side cooler. This may necessitate a larger enclosure or some creative planning. This can best be accomplished by placing a UTH heater on the SIDE of the enclosure rather than below it and monitoring it with a quality rheostat. For my setups I use natural light cycles or a simple incandescent bulb on a timer (12 hours light12 hours darkness). When placed on one side of the enclosure the incandescent bulb provides light and heat during the day. When it goes off it provides a suitable night drop in temperature. For supplemental heating i occasionally use UTH taped to the side glass with a probe connected so it doesn't over heat. UTHs are also a no no on plastic. Good Luck

Thread Information