Thread: Frogs have disapeared

Default Frogs have disapeared

We used to have 6 frogs in our small pond, picture a few weeks ago shows how they used to sit together. Recently we have not seen them. Only see one large female and one male . Any ideas what may have happened to them. We have no herons in the area and no other water within a mile. Tried to attach a photo guess I did it wrong sorry
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Frogs have disapeared

Did I place this post in the wrong forum?

Member needs to set country!

This is the right forum! This place just isn't terribly busy and it can take a bit to get responses depending on who is on and the nature of the question.

It's difficult to say what could have happened to the frogs. Four of them vanishing is pretty alarming, and the first things which come to mind are predation or disease. Even though you might not have herons, it's possible something else came by and got them, though I'm not sure what animals may be in your area. Disease may be unlikely since you would have seen bodies if they got sick and died. I would try to do a sweep of your pond and check the little nooks and crannies to see if they did pass and get wedged in them, if to only try to figure out their fate. Keep an eye on the remaining two for signs of illness. Just in case it is a predator, it may be a good idea to get a net to drape over the pond, even if it's just at night.

Thank you, the only animals around here are dogs and cats and once in awhile a hawk, could a cat take a frog? There is a very large female and have seen two male frogs today. We have had all six for several years an never had any disappear like this. the one male frog is very aggressive towards the other male perhaps he could have chased the others off?

Member needs to set country!

I know cats enjoy hunting, but I'm betting a cat wouldn't pursue a frog into the water. I guess it's possible if a frog was picking on the others, they might try to travel elsewhere, but I honestly can't say I know the habits and behaviors of these frogs, so it's lots of guessing on my part. I wish I could be more helpful.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Cats and hawks can take frogs, though these look a bit big for hawks. If you live in an especially hot climate some species burrow in the mud. I don't know whether these do.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Bullfrogs like their space. It is likely that the others left in search of new ponds to inhabit. If it has rained there recently, all the more likely, as they prefer to travel in the rain.

9. This member thanks Herpin Man for this post:

Thread Information