Thread: Heating problem with Daylight Blue bulb

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Heating problem with Daylight Blue bulb

I have a Zoo Med 40w Blue Daylight bulb above my 10-Gallon tank for my PacMan frog. I also have a Zoo Med Thermometer/Hygrometer in the bottom of the tank. The Humidity level is good - The Heat level never goes above 74-degrees. So, is the problem the light bulb or the Thermometer/Hygrometer giving me inaccurate readings?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Member needs to set country!

Default Re: Heating problem with Daylight Blue bulb

Is your Thermometer/Hygrometer the dial version or electronic one? I've heard the dial ones can be inaccurate. Also, do you have a light stand for your dome light or does it only sit on top of the screen? Depending on these factors, you may have to compensate for the room temperature, get a 60w bulb, and make proper adjustments.

Nationality
    [United States]

I have a dial version thermometer/hygrometer - the light fixture sits on top of the screen. To me, it doesn't look like the dial moves at all -
    it still reads 74-76 degrees and 80% humidity.

I see. It would probably be worth it to invest in electronic ones so you know the readings are more accurate. If you do get those and it turns out the temp is still too low, then you can get a warmer bulb.

Nationality
    [United States]

I am already using a Blue Daylight Bulb 40w. I have looked into better thermometers/hygrometers, but they are all reviewed
    the same by users. None of them work that great according to what I have read. So, what is your recommendation as far as
    a thermometer/hygrometer?

Sorry if this wasn't clear, but I was recommending to get a new thermo/hygrometer and then seeing if the temperature is still low. If that is the case, it stands to reason you would need to upgrade to a 60w blue bulb.

I use Zoomed, but you can look up "best reptile thermometer hygrometer" in an internet search bar and find areas of discussion around this topic. You'll find that people prefer different brands due to their own experiences, so my recommendation is to look up what you can and use that in your judgement.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Bynny Ribbit View Post
    Sorry if this wasn't clear, but I was recommending to get a new thermo/hygrometer and then seeing if the temperature is still low. If that is the case, it stands to reason you would need to upgrade to a 60w blue bulb.

I use Zoomed, but you can look up "best reptile thermometer hygrometer" in an internet search bar and find areas of discussion around this topic. You'll find that people prefer different brands due to their own experiences, so my recommendation is to look up what you can and use that in your judgement.
    I have just purchased a new FLUKER'S Thermometer/Hygrometer which is Digital. It is working out much better .

Nationality
    [Canada]

What are your temps now? And were are are you placing the thermometer or probe for it. You want to place it as close to under the light as possible and have the probe sitting about an inch off the ground because this is were he is so you don't know what the temps is 4 inches off the ground. Not saying you have it 4 inches off the ground but I have seen a lot of people place there thermometer or probe there.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    What are your temps now? And were are are you placing the thermometer or probe for it. You want to place it as close to under the light as possible and have the probe sitting about an inch off the ground because this is were he is so you don't know what the temps is 4 inches off the ground. Not saying you have it 4 inches off the ground but I have seen a lot of people place there thermometer or probe there.
    Currently, my Temps and Humidity levels are good - 77-degrees and 71% Humidty. I have a FLUKER'S thermo-humidity gauge and it is Digital and is placed Just above the substrate on the bottom - so it would be 1-Inch from the bottom of the tank. The lamp fixture is on the screen top in the middle of the tank, above the thermometer/hygrometer.

Nationality
    [Canada]

If possible I would try to get his temps up into the mid 80's because this is what they prefer and the heat really helps there digestion and metabolism. But everything else sounds good.

Nationality
    [United States]

If possible I would try to get his temps up into the mid 80's because this is what they prefer and the heat really helps there digestion and metabolism. But everything else sounds good.
    Ok, I will see what happens today. If I can't reach the mid-80's, I may have to upgrade to a 60w bulb. Thank You, Cory for your assistance and advice.

Nationality
    [Canada]

No problem, would have tried to answer earlier through out the week but I have been super busy.

Nationality
    [United States]

No problem, would have tried to answer earlier through out the week but I have been super busy.
    UPDATE:: I just checked the tank ......the Temp is 76F . . and the Humidity is 87%. Temp is to Low and Humidity is to High. Dang. I'm going to have to move the Lamp fixture to right above the Thermometer/Hygrometer and Add Aluminum Foil to the other end of the screen lid.

Nationality
    [Canada]

You have to play around with it and eventually you will get it, theres a lot of trial and error when comes to trying to get the temps and humidity right. And if you just misted his tank this morning that's why the humidity probably went so high. Its ok if goes over for a short period of time its not good for it to be above 80 all the time.

Nationality
    [United States]

Funny, I don't recall misting his enclosure this morning .....must be my Age. I've lost my memory. I will monitor it all day to make sure things don't get out of hand........Currently, he is "unburrowed" so perhaps he wants to eat !

Nationality
    [Canada]

If the humidity stays high there may be to much moisture in the substrate, A good rule of thumb when it comes to expanding substrate and keeping it moist is when you grab it in your hand you want it to clump into a nice ball when you squeeze it but not have tons of water come dripping out of it. To much water with all that heat becomes a breeding ground for bacteria. Also are you using something to declorinate the water for his dish and expanding the substrate?

Nationality
    [United States]

I use Spring Water, not tap water. The Spring Water is also in the spray bottle. I only spray once daily, twice if see that it is very dry....

Thread Information