Thread: Baytril Concerns

Member needs to set country!

Default Baytril Concerns

As mentioned in this thread, my WTF Moochy ended up with edema. I took her in to the vet and received Baytril to treat her with for two weeks, but she seems to really dislike it. I apply .03ml to her back and it must sting pretty bad because she tries to swipe it off. It makes me apprehensive she's going to accidentally sweep it into her eye, not to mention I simply don't like it's hurting her enough to cause this reaction.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Unfortunately, I won't be able to ask my vet until Monday which will be three treatments from now. Is there a way to alleviate this reaction?

She's always been the chunkier side, but her weight went up 4 grams since her last visit, so she's carrying a bit of extra fluid. For those new to Moochy's situation, her problems all started with a skin condition that we were never able to diagnose. It seems to have gotten better compared to before, but coupled with this I'm sort of preparing myself for the worst. Only thing keeping me going is she is still eating and active despite her difficulties...and if she has a desire to continue, I want to help her.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Baytril Concerns

Hi, I have experience with both, Edema and Baytril ( enrofloxin ). Are they absolutely sure its edema? The only reason I ask is because my frog was pretty much see through from the water retention and she had a lot of swelling in both back legs, like I said the back legs were pretty much see through. Her sides were swelled too but the back legs were bad, I don't know if its just the picture but her back legs don't look really swelled and the rest of her just looks like a normal abit overweight chunky whites to me. But as I mentioned it might just be the picture. So now for the not so good news, I don't know if you know but edema is irreversible and even if the swelling goes down it is going to happen again and you will be in the same boat with meds etc. I know that part sucks. When my girl ( pacman frog ) had it they gave me the generic brand of baytril which is the enrofloxin and the procedure for giving it was not to put it right on the back but to mix abit of it with water and I would have to let her soak in it every day for like 2 hours so she could absorb as much of it as possible. Giving it this way didn't stress her out all, she would jump around for the first couple minutes but after that she would just fall asleep sitting in it. I would put the container in her enclosure so it stayed warm. I'm not saying it wont work by dropping it on the frog because I'm not a vet but if your concerned you could mention this way to them and they may agree that it may be a better option. But as mentioned it will come back, I did 2 rounds of the meds which was a week each and she got better but about a week later she just swelled up again. It was a Friday when she really got bad again and I told myself I would bring her in again on the Monday, unfortunately when I went to check on her that sunday and she had passed on her own.

He did an exam on her and said her abdomen did feel distended, but her legs are completely normal. He also mentioned it was likely either septicemia (since the underside of her legs did look a little flushed, forgot to mention that) or possibly kidney disease. I know the latter is pretty much end of the road, so I'm preparing myself if it comes to that.

Even if edema is caused by infection, will it be recurring? It was my understanding it would only return if it was renal failure, but maybe there's information I've missed in that regard.

There is a link to my other thread in the first post, I was trying to document her skin issue but it does show she's been a chubbier girl and not much smaller than her current size. Moochy still wanders her hospital tank at night, soaks, and eats...so it's entirely possible I'm simply being a helicopter frog mom and my vet is willing to throw something at it just to err on the side of caution (and because she already has unresolved issues).

Thank you for your input, when Monday rolls around I'll call in and ask if a different approach is an option. I'll also try to put her on a little froggy diet to see if it's simply fat...It's very possible I've been overfeeding her due to fear she'll stop eating.

Nationality
    [Canada]

I'm not sure about the Septicemia because mine had renal ( kidney failure ) so that's what I did all my research on and treated her for so I'm not sure if it will return if its the first one. But if its kidney failure its just a losing battle. Mine was a pacman frog so it wasn't very active to start with but you could just tell by looking at her that she wasn't comfortable and she stopped moving completely and would bury herself and stay down unless I dug her up. So maybe if yours is still doing all the froggy things its supposed to it isn't kidney failure and you may be able to save your frog. If you feel the meds are bugging her or she they aren't working I would still ask your vet if the soak would be a better way to treat it.

So sorry to hear your froggy went through that. Yeah, I'm hoping she has septicemia since kidney failure means I'll have to say goodbye to her. It's been hard to tell if the medicine is working since it's only been three days and I was told to dose her for two weeks, not to mention her behavior is the same. On the other hand, she has been dosed with a small handful of things since the beginning of the year for various conditions, and that compounded with her age may have affected her kidneys...it's only speculation, but as I mentioned before, just preparing myself for the worst.

I grabbed another picture since her roundness is a lot more apparent when she flattens out:

Thanks again for your help, I will definitely call the vet tomorrow, explain her reactions, and ask if another method of administering might be better.

EDIT: I feel I should mention the white stuff on her left side is calcium powder...she's a messy eater, lol.

Hello! I called in to my vet clinic and they offered me oral Baytril instead. It's definitely much easier! I bought some medium crickets so I could grab one, coat it in the Baytril, and then feed it to her. I think we're both happier with this option, haha.

Thread Information