Thread: frog not eating question on baths

Nationality
    [United States]

Unhappy frog not eating question on baths

My young ornate frog hasn't been eating for 4 days. He moves around his tank he just won't eat anything. so i thouhgt i would give him a warm bath but idk how so how do you guys do that?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Member needs to set country!

Default Re: frog not eating question on baths

4 Days isn't a super long time, so don't stress too much. Do you know the last time he pooped? I know my Pacman is reluctant to eat when she's brewing up something special for me. You can feel their poop on the right side of their body when it's getting closer to the "exit", sometimes you can even see it as a lump, lol.

It may also be helpful if you could answer some of the information requested here. It may help narrow down why he isn't eating if the bath doesn't work.

I assume you want to give him a bath to help him go? If so, you just need to find a container he can safely sit in with warm conditioned water (some prefer to do exact temperatures, I just feel the water to make sure it's warm enough and not too hot) that goes no higher than his chin. This can be pretty effective on its own, but you can also add some honey to encourage a poop. I usually do about 15-20 minutes and cover the container with a washcloth so my girl feels safer. Sometimes they poop during the bath, sometimes after...sometimes it takes a few rounds to work. Once took my frog three days, one bath a day, to help her go.

Nationality
    [United States]

1. Half of a 30 gal
    2. 1 pac man ornate and 2 inchs maybe
    3. is a issue but i mist a lot
    4. 80's
    5. med size soaking dish and i use a chlorinated water
    6. coco fiver aka eco earth
    7. water dish a plastic plant hidey and potted pot

8. Nightcrawlers cut up
    9. C powder every feeding because he is young and 1-2 times a week i mix it up with the vitimin powder (how often)
    10. 50 watter inf red bulb
    11. the bulb above
    12. 6 days now
    13. not sense he/she stopped eating
    14. can't at the moment
    15. Won't eat and now eyes closed all the time and only moves to different holes he/she makes
    16. 2-3 months maybe
    17. A month
    18. CB
    19. 1-2 nightcrawls cut up and crickets as treats
    20. almost never only for cleaning and baths
    21. low traffic area
    22. it is a new tank i have not cleaned it yet

Thanks for answering those. I'll need you to clarify some of them.

You said you need to mist a lot. Is the substrate damp or dry? How deep is it?

You mentioned the temperature is in the 80s. Is it low or high 80s?

If you are using chlorinated water without treating it with a water conditioner, that can be quite harmful to your frog. You need to use something like [url=https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-ReptiSafe-Water-Conditioner/dp/B0002568SG]this/[url] or your frog will deteriorate until there's no helping it.

Nationality
    [United States]

the substrate gets dry quickly so i mist it till its damp like 3 times a day because if i don't it drys out like it will look like a bag of eco earth again except less dusty. it is low 80's and i use a water conditioner its a turtle brand doe

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Do not have time to answer in depth, sorry, will try to do so later... hopefully.
    couple things here. First do not do any baths unless is needed, that is not the your case. Please post pic of the tank and a frog to get a better idea, but 4 days off food really not something you should worry about. Yet.

Overall it seems to me you have humidity issues that you have to solve. Misting 2-3 times a day may not solve the problem. You need to invest in good gauge, possibly controller and a fogger. That would be the easiest route.

In reality you you might just need to get creative and figure out how to control it all without extra expenses if you can help it. Usually covering 3/4 of screen top helps, people put wet towels on top, things like that. When humidity drops to the point the substrate get dry - that’s your danger zone. That should never happen to a young frog.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

trying to get photos i got some but i don't wanna touch him and my phone is being a butt isnt letting me get the photos i have on here ill try cover even more of the Aluminium foil and more wet paper towels i have 40-50 percent covered already Ican't afford a mister at this point nor have and info on them except they are pricey

UPDATE the lil guy is having issues up his eyes and hunkers down here and only moves when i spray his tank with water/mister.

Nationality
    [United States]

UPDATE: i got him to eat yesterday small piece of earthworm

Nationality
    [United States]

UPDATE: he just died he has been eating and i've been keeping the ground damp but he just passed this morning it looks like he was tossing up his food because his body looked like he wasn't eating this sucks now i got to idea what happened

I'm very sorry to hear that, Lanky. Sometimes, despite our best efforts, frogs can pass away from any number of problems.

Thread Information