Thread: Temperatures...and what Bulb should I use with the Lamp I bought.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Temperatures...and what Bulb should I use with the Lamp I bought.

I bought a Flukers 5.5-inch small lamp with dimmable switch - the store did not have a matching bulb to go with this fixture.
    I bought a Reptisun 5.0 UVA/UVB CFL, which of course fits the socket, but is to large for the lamp and extends beyond the fixture. So, it looks like this lamp can only be used with incandescent bulbs - so do I have to buy a "Blue" day bulb and a "Red" night bulb to provide the heat that my PacMan frog needs?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Animallover3541's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Temperatures...and what Bulb should I use with the Lamp I bought.

I'd use a ceramic heat emitter with it. If you want to provide UVB then get a simple hardware store clamp lamp. Here's a link to one: https://www.amazon.com/Simple-Deluxe...70_&dpSrc=srch
    Emitters emit no light so are good to use at night and during the day. Frogs and other herps can still see the light from red bulbs, just not the color. Emitters get HOT so make sure the Fluker's lamp has a ceramic socket, not plastic. I burned my carpet with the lamp, which shows how hot they can really get. They will lower the humidity, so be careful about that.
    "If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."
    - James Herriot
    The first step towards fixing your flaws is recognizing that they exist.
    FFA & Livestock Judging
    1.0.0 Ball Python (Redstripe)
    1.1.0 D. versicolor
    0.0.1 Red Eared Slider
    1.0.0 A. fowleri (R.I.P 1/13/21, I miss you Herbie)

Nationality
    [Canada]

Get the CHE as mentioned and for light you can just use a regular led light or low watt house bulb for light. I use these 5 watt led bulbs from Walmart and they work great, remember if its albino you don't want to use that uvb bulb. You want your heat around 82f and your humidity around 70 to 80 percent. At night you want your temps to drop a few degrees at night and this should trigger his feeding instincts. You want him to have a warm side of the tank and a cooler side so he can regulate his his body temps if need be, it only has to be a few degrees difference. If you find with the ceramic you start to lose a lot of humidity you can cover about 3/4 of the top with tinfoil or saranwrap and this helps keep humidity up longer and it traps the heat in. I personally use foil because I find it works better the saran wrap and it holds the heat in way better.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Animallover3541 View Post
    I'd use a ceramic heat emitter with it. If you want to provide UVB then get a simple hardware store clamp lamp. Here's a link to one: https://www.amazon.com/Simple-Deluxe...70_&dpSrc=srch
    Emitters emit no light so are good to use at night and during the day. Frogs and other herps can still see the light from red bulbs, just not the color. Emitters get HOT so make sure the Fluker's lamp has a ceramic socket, not plastic. I burned my carpet with the lamp, which shows how hot they can really get. They will lower the humidity, so be careful about that.
    I have a FLUKER'S LAMP FIXTURE (mini 5.5") and am using a BLUE Daylight bulb (40w) - So far, this seems to be working well and maintaining the Temps and Humidity levels where they should be - Temps are at 77-degrees and Humidity is at 71%. Yes, the Fluker's Lamp fixture does have a ceramic socket. I know what you mean - I had a large Blood Python in a tank with a UTH. Not Good. I ended up Burning the snake. I will never use another UTH again. The Lamp fixture is good because it has a Dimmer.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    Get the CHE as mentioned and for light you can just use a regular led light or low watt house bulb for light. I use these 5 watt led bulbs from Walmart and they work great, remember if its albino you don't want to use that uvb bulb. You want your heat around 82f and your humidity around 70 to 80 percent. At night you want your temps to drop a few degrees at night and this should trigger his feeding instincts. You want him to have a warm side of the tank and a cooler side so he can regulate his his body temps if need be, it only has to be a few degrees difference. If you find with the ceramic you start to lose a lot of humidity you can cover about 3/4 of the top with tinfoil or saranwrap and this helps keep humidity up longer and it traps the heat in. I personally use foil because I find it works better the saran wrap and it holds the heat in way better.
    Currently I use a FLUKER'S mini (5.5") LAMP FIXTURE with DIMMER. It has thus far been doing a good job. The fixture is in the middle of the screen top, slightly to one side, and I have Aluminum foil over the other half. I have a FLUKER'S Digital Thermometer/Hygrometer which is much better than the Dial one I was using. The Temps are 77F but will go up to 80F during the day, with Humidity at 71% and will go up to 75%. I have a BLUE Daylight 40w Bulb that I use which is working out well. I check the temp/humidity before I spray down the enclosure to insure the Humidity level does not go up to high. He is 6-8 Months old and has only eaten (1) Cricket in a week.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Has he pooped since you got him? if not try giving him a warm bath with some honey in it, leave him in there for about 20 mins and cover the top with a dark towel to help him relax and this traps the heat from the water in there. After words give him a normal bath for the same length of time to rinse the honey water off. Sometimes they will go in the bath and sometimes they wait till there back in there enclosure. Also if you haven't covered 3 sides of his tank this really helps too, this way when he comes up he cant see out from directions. I seen in the other thread you mentioned you were going to try worms, make sure they nightcrawlers and not red wigglers, the wigglers secrete this yellow goo that taste like garbage for the frog. At that age I would just cut the worm in half no need to cut it into little pieces. He may be at a size were crickets just don't do it for him anymore and the bigger feeder may catch his interest more, all four of mine at adults and they couldn't be bothered by crickets. Takes way to much energy to fill up. I know a lot of this doesn't have anything to do with the light but I mentioned the other things because I tried to answer your other post but it got locked so I thought I would just throw some extra info in here.

Nationality
    [United States]

Has he pooped since you got him? if not try giving him a warm bath with some honey in it, leave him in there for about 20 mins and cover the top with a dark towel to help him relax and this traps the heat from the water in there. After words give him a normal bath for the same length of time to rinse the honey water off. Sometimes they will go in the bath and sometimes they wait till there back in there enclosure. Also if you haven't covered 3 sides of his tank this really helps too, this way when he comes up he cant see out from directions. I seen in the other thread you mentioned you were going to try worms, make sure they nightcrawlers and not red wigglers, the wigglers secrete this yellow goo that taste like garbage for the frog. At that age I would just cut the worm in half no need to cut it into little pieces. He may be at a size were crickets just don't do it for him anymore and the bigger feeder may catch his interest more, all four of mine at adults and they couldn't be bothered by crickets. Takes way to much energy to fill up. I know a lot of this doesn't have anything to do with the light but I mentioned the other things because I tried to answer your other post but it got locked so I thought I would just throw some extra info in here.
    To the best of my knowledge (and vision) No, he has not pooped. TBH I haven't really had a good look at him. When I got him, I just sort of opened the container and he plopped out into his enclosure, burrowed and he has been there ever since - and that was 1-week ago. As for worms - I have ordered Horn worms and nightcrawlers and Dubia. Like I said, he has only eaten 1-Cricket in a week.....I did offer more to him at Night, put the lights out, and the next morning, they were still there .......I guess he either isn't hungry or has lost interest in Crickets now that he is 6-8 Months old. What do you think ?

Nationality
    [Canada]

I would give him the bath and see if he goes poop for you and before you put him back I would give him a good inspection and see if anything looks out of the ordinary. They love hornworms but don't give him these all the time because they are very fatty and have really high water content. He could have lost interest or he needs to poop or is still adjusting to his new surroundings. And in all fairness at that age a week to adjust and not eat is kind of normal and isn't nothing to get to worried about yet. If it goes for a couple weeks and you notice he is starting to lose weight and the temps and everything are in check then there may a underlying illness or something and you may need a vet. But we will cross our fingers he is just adjusting and will start to eat and act normal. The night crawlers can be fed as much as you want, they are a nice and healthy feeder for your frog. But you will want to try and tong feed him these though because they will just disappear into the substrate otherwise and he wont even get a chance to see them. And actually if your not tong feeding you may want to pick up a pair and try those even with crickets. If your just putting them into the tank at the age and size he has become very lazy and wont chase down his meal, they are sit and wait predators. So the crickets may be staying away from him not giving him a chance to catch them, they have to literally walk right in front of his face. And feeding at night is when you will get the best response, wait about a half to an hour after lights out and the temps drop in his tank. This is when I have always fed my guys and gals and I have always got a better response then in the day.

Nationality
    [United States]

Ok, the good thing is that I was proactive, and did pick up a pair of 10" tongs. I agree. Feeding the crickets this way as well as the worms is just a better idea. I am going to take him out of his enclosure, rinse him off with some Spring water and inspect him. Also give him a soak. The worms will be here tomorrow or Friday. I've read that a lot of owners feed their frogs in a separate container and I have seen Videos of that as well. What are your thoughts on that ?

Nationality
    [Canada]

I have always got lucky and great reactions from the tongs but yes there is lots of people that feed in a separate container, and in my opinion if that's what works for your frog then there isn't anything wrong with it.

Nationality
    [United States]

I will see how he responds with the tongs ..... if no response, then I may take him out and put him in a container with a few Crickets.

Nationality
    [United States]

I removed him from the enclosure, washed him off a little and took a good look at him. He looks really good. I tried feeding him a Cricket using tongs ......he was not interested. I put him back in his enclosure. . . Currently the Temp is 77F, and the Humdity is 72%. I'm glad I ordered the 60w bulb to help boost those Temps.

Nationality
    [United States]

I have always got lucky and great reactions from the tongs but yes there is lots of people that feed in a separate container, and in my opinion if that's what works for your frog then there isn't anything wrong with it.
    The good news is that this morning I was able to Feed "Ernie" (4) Horn worms. He was up and out of his burrow, so I knew he was hungry. I'm very glad he ate for me from the tongs, and gobbled down the Horn worms.

Nationality
    [Canada]

That's good news, I told you they loved those things. Just remember not give them to him to often, they are very high in fat. My guys also really love silkworms, they are also more of a treat but they have more protein then hornworms and less fat. His staple if he eats them should be the nightcrawlers and if you can get some roaches instead of crickets they are also good for the staple diet. Hornworms, silkworms, phoenix worms, butterworms, waxworms should only be treats but can all be thrown into the diet. Variety is the key to nice and healthy frog. Hope he keeps eating for you. And I think you mentioned he was 6 to 8 months old ( could have been a different thread ) but if this correct he would be considered a juvenile so you can offer him food every 2 to 3 days, at this stage they don't need to be fed every day and if offered every day they more then likely wont eat if they are still full and digesting there last meal.

Nationality
    [United States]

That's good news, I told you they loved those things. Just remember not give them to him to often, they are very high in fat. My guys also really love silkworms, they are also more of a treat but they have more protein then hornworms and less fat. His staple if he eats them should be the nightcrawlers and if you can get some roaches instead of crickets they are also good for the staple diet. Hornworms, silkworms, phoenix worms, butterworms, waxworms should only be treats but can all be thrown into the diet. Variety is the key to nice and healthy frog. Hope he keeps eating for you. And I think you mentioned he was 6 to 8 months old ( could have been a different thread ) but if this correct he would be considered a juvenile so you can offer him food every 2 to 3 days, at this stage they don't need to be fed every day and if offered every day they more then likely wont eat if they are still full and digesting there last meal.

I have nighcrawlers, dubia roaches and the hornworms for him. It's funny, but he literally comes up out of his burrow when he is looking for food - so that is my trigger to feed him. Right now he is satisfied and buried in his burrow. So, he is good for a few days. I just had to get rid of the Crickets, I couldn't stand the odor. I have the 60w bulb coming today which will help boost the temps.

Thread Information