Thread: do you believe in tong feeding?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default do you believe in tong feeding?

i am a part of a face book group that advocates feeding pacman frogs with tongs. i tired to months to get my pacman to eat from tongs and sometimes she did but most of the time she just avoid it and eat while tong feeding maybe once a week to once every two weeks so i decided to break the say so and try to just let her eat on her own. i try to feed her three times a week she is about 5 months old. i'm not sure of the gender i just say girl. her humidity is 78 % usually and her temp is 79 degrees but with the zilla thermostat malfunctioning and nearly catching the heat mat on fire i haven't used a heat mat in a few days also its been pretty warm.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: do you believe in tong feeding?

Sure I believe in it. That's how I feed most of my snakes, because with tongs, I can entice them to strike at dead prey.
    However, frogs eat live, moving prey. I don't think that tongs are necessary in most cases, so I dump in the live prey and let the frogs find the prey themselves.

Nationality
    [United States]

You didn't mention what you are feeding your PacMan frog. What are you feeding him/her ? PacMan frogs don't move, so they are not going to chase their prey. They are ambush predators. So they are going to wait for their prey to come near them and then they strike. I don't think tong feeding for a PacMan will work, but every frog is different.

I believe in it because:
    #1- I know my pacman frogs are eating, and how much they are eating.
    #2- They won't ingest any substrate.
    I have 4 pacman frogs, and out of the 4 only 2 will eat off the tongs for me.

Member needs to set country!

Pacman frogs can be pretty reckless when striking at prey. Tongs can alleviate the worry that they're ingesting something they aren't supposed to, so it's one less thing to stress over. Plus, if you put any supplements on the insects and let them wander the tank, the dust can get rubbed off pretty quickly and they might not be getting the necessary nutrition. There's plenty of ways to go about feeding, my friend feeds her's in a container outside of the tank because that's how he eats the best. Sometimes different ways are better depending on a frog's temperament and personality.

Nationality
    [United States]

Name:  jasper eating a worm.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  189.0 KBi feed night crawlers and hornworms mainly tried silkworms and wax worms but they didn't go over well. not allowed to feed crickets or roaches at least for now until i move

Nationality
    [United States]

If you feed in a mostly empty tub like that, you can feed worms by putting the worm next to the frog and poking it with the tongs until it wiggles. The frog should take care of the rest. This has the added benefit of getting it used to the tongs. Some frogs take longer than others to acclimate, especially if they weren’t trained on the tongs as babies.

Nationality
    [United States]

mainly feeding her night crawlers and hornworms tried silkworms but she didn't seems to like them. but after trying for awhile i got her to eat from tongs again. just a few tries. what can i do if she refuses to eat from tongs again?

Thread Information