Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "No" Frog

Member needs to set country!

Default Re: "No" Frog

Is Julep still trying to get out of quarantine? I'm not sure about your setup, but if you haven't already, maybe try to tape paper around three sides of the tank. I assume it would help him feel more secure and lessen the urge of trying to get out.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I'm getting frustrated. Neither of my frogs have wanted to eat for another week. (Maybe my big one ate from his bowl, it got tipped over, I don't know.) I've been carefully giving the little frog reptaboost and a roach once a week. I just need him to poop so I can take the sample to the vet.

It's so frustrating because the large frog actually did poop once and I overlooked it, so now I have to wait and hope before I can get him tested.

Does anyone know the survival rate of frogs with nematode infections? It's been several weeks now.

I know they are already stressed, but maybe a warm soak would encourage them to go? It seems to happen with me every time I give them a soak during complete tank cleanings.

I don't know the survival rates of nematode infections. I did, however, find a PDF of this study: A Comparison of Two Treatments for Nematode Infections in the Tungara Frog. Pretty much compares frogs dosed with medicine and ones that only had their tanks cleaned and found both to be an effective means to get rid of Nematodes. I'm not sure if this is helpful or not, but I found it interesting enough to share.

I also found this website called the Veterian Key that boasts it's the "Fastest Veterinary Medicine Insight Engine". I got some results from searching Nematodes, you might be able to dig something up by looking up Amphibians, too. Some content is blocked off for Gold Members only, but maybe you can still find something useful.

Sorry I can't be of more help, my searches don't seem to be useful. You could always check the Dendroboard for experiences with Nematodes, as well, as I did get some hits from their forum, but didn't look too extensively.

5. This member thanks Bynny Ribbit for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thank you for the searches! Don't worry about not finding much. There might not be any studies on nematode survival for all I know. I will look up the suggested search engine too. Thank you so much, though!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Still no eating, but fecal samples showed that they both have nematodes (Julep has less than he did). Second round of medicine it is.

I've been cleaning out the hospital tanks, the only problem is I'm a little afraid to use soap, not sure whether I could get it all removed well enough.

I personally use a vinegar solution to clean my tanks which is obviously pretty fragrant, so it's easy to tell if more rinsing is needed. I'm not sure if vinegar is effective against nematodes, though.

You could apply the same principle and get a soap with a distinct smell so you know your tank needs more rinsing, maybe? There's also the commercially available tank cleaners for reptiles like Zoo Med's Wipe Out.

100+ Post Member Animallover3541's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Bynny Ribbit View Post
    I personally use a vinegar solution to clean my tanks which is obviously pretty fragrant, so it's easy to tell if more rinsing is needed. I'm not sure if vinegar is effective against nematodes, though.

You could apply the same principle and get a soap with a distinct smell so you know your tank needs more rinsing, maybe? There's also the commercially available tank cleaners for reptiles like Zoo Med's Wipe Out.
    I do the same as Bynny Ribbit, and also use dish soap. I rinse until I see and smell no residue and then rinse a little more. Never noticed issues with any animals by using these products.
    "If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."
    - James Herriot
    The first step towards fixing your flaws is recognizing that they exist.
    FFA & Livestock Judging
    1.0.0 Ball Python (Redstripe)
    1.1.0 D. versicolor
    0.0.1 Red Eared Slider
    1.0.0 A. fowleri (R.I.P 1/13/21, I miss you Herbie)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

One thing I read on a few websites is that isopods actually compete with nematodes for food and isopods usually win. So if you would have an abundance of isopods you will be able to choke out nematodes in theory. I use native plants I buy from nurseries and things that may have nematodes but I have an abundance of Springtails and Isopods that have successfully prevented my toads or anything else native from getting infected. For the future idk if you do this already but you can attempt keeping isopods with your frogs. I'm unsure of a survival rate of frogs from your question. Some vets will inject the frog directly as my vet did to a dumpy frog with an airborne infection and it helped the frog. He didn't feel it. The Pedyalite will work the one you suggested it gives energy. I've used it before. Sugar added to warm water helps also. Helps them poop too.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the reply! I have had isopods and springtails, though they might have died. I don't remember seeing any isopods when I cleaned out the substrate. It's a shame because I'd really prefer a permanent setup but I have no idea how the nematodes got into the tank in the first place and if there's a chance they could build up again it might be better not to risk it.

My vet gave me oral medication and I'm trying to be very delicate about opening their mouths. If the frogs became very malnourished I'd try a pedialyte bath but the problem doesn't seem to be lack of energy. Hopefully after three days of meds and a short recovery period they'll feel like eating once more.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

They're eating! Fingers crossed that the crickets won't re-infect them and the medicine and my tank cleaning efforts did a thorough job of removing the nematodes.

13. This member thanks elly for this post:

That's great! Hopefully it's smooth sailing from here!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Frogs have not been eating for a while again. I'm so tired

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Bonk is now eating almost as many bugs as I put out so I'm less worried about him. Julep's not eating much but he occasionally takes one.

Julep's stool sample didn't reveal any nematodes, but the vet said the sample might be old since he's still reluctant to eat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information