Thread: Afraid of me

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Afraid of me

I may be a little paranoid about my frog (who's full name is Froggomissio), but I really want to make sure that he'll eat from my tongs again. When I first got my frog, I picked up some crickets and I shoved the tongs in his face, he attacked the tongs right away and got some crickets, I was so happy. Yesterday however, he attacked the tongs twice without getting any reward from it, and then I tried the tongs again and he wasn't interested. I tried poking him in the face with the cricket and he didn't want it, and now I feel as though he's a little scared of me, because I was poking him.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Animallover3541's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Afraid of me

Quote Originally Posted by bunras View Post
    I may be a little paranoid about my frog (who's full name is Froggomissio), but I really want to make sure that he'll eat from my tongs again. When I first got my frog, I picked up some crickets and I shoved the tongs in his face, he attacked the tongs right away and got some crickets, I was so happy. Yesterday however, he attacked the tongs twice without getting any reward from it, and then I tried the tongs again and he wasn't interested. I tried poking him in the face with the cricket and he didn't want it, and now I feel as though he's a little scared of me, because I was poking him.
    What exactly did you mean by "without getting any reward"? if you mean he went after it and missed it or didn't grab it, that happens to one of my tree frogs a lot. He goes after prey and will not grab it, but instead accidentally pushes it out of the tongs and into the substrate. Some frogs are just kinda weird and stupid, but no matter what they sure are cute! I don't think he's afraid of you, he probably got annoyed when you used the cricket. I saw your other post about him, and I think that sounds like a defensive behavior? Don't worry about him too much, I am positive he's fine.
    "If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."
    - James Herriot
    The first step towards fixing your flaws is recognizing that they exist.
    FFA & Livestock Judging
    1.0.0 Ball Python (Redstripe)
    1.1.0 D. versicolor
    0.0.1 Red Eared Slider
    1.0.0 A. fowleri (R.I.P 1/13/21, I miss you Herbie)

4. This member thanks Animallover3541 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Animallover3541 View Post
    What exactly did you mean by "without getting any reward"? if you mean he went after it and missed it or didn't grab it, that happens to one of my tree frogs a lot. He goes after prey and will not grab it, but instead accidentally pushes it out of the tongs and into the substrate. Some frogs are just kinda weird and stupid, but no matter what they sure are cute! I don't think he's afraid of you, he probably got annoyed when you used the cricket. I saw your other post about him, and I think that sounds like a defensive behavior? Don't worry about him too much, I am positive he's fine.
    Yeah it’s kind of like he missed it. I fed him a dead crane fly that I found around my house first and I thought he got everything but the wing. After I fed him that I regret it because I thought he might have been carrying a disease of some sort (it most likely didn’t but I was cautious), so I went to go grab the wing out from underneath him and it turned out that he didn’t eat the thing (or at least not all of it). Then I yanked it away from him while he was trying to go after it.
    Also is it okay if I feed him dead insects from around the house?

100+ Post Member Animallover3541's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I don't recommend it. There are various chemicals like pesticides that can be in wild insects. Plus, you also have parasites in wild insects. You can buy roaches or crickets. Make sure you gut load them (feed them a healthy diet) and dust them (put reptile calcium+D3 supplements and vitamin supplements on them).
    "If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."
    - James Herriot
    The first step towards fixing your flaws is recognizing that they exist.
    FFA & Livestock Judging
    1.0.0 Ball Python (Redstripe)
    1.1.0 D. versicolor
    0.0.1 Red Eared Slider
    1.0.0 A. fowleri (R.I.P 1/13/21, I miss you Herbie)

Thread Information