Thread: Whites tree frog housed with standing's day gecko?

Question Whites tree frog housed with standing's day gecko?

So I have a whites tree frog and a sub adult standing's day gecko. The tree frog is a male and is just shy of 3 inches, and the gecko is a female, and is about 7 1/2 inches. My question is if I can house these two together, it would really save me some space. The tree frog is small enough that I don't run the risk of him eating the gecko, and day geckos generally don't eat things larger than there heads. I wouldn't think the two would fight being completely unrelated species, and different sexes. One being nocturnal and the other being diurnal would limit how much they interact with each other, the frog is basically just a blob on the side of the glass during the day, and the gecko hides at night. They both have almost Identical care requirements, and I have a pretty big enclosure I would house them in. I don't know, it seems fine to me. I know cohabitation is a pretty touchy subject in the reptile/amphibian community, but I would like to hear other people's thoughts.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Whites tree frog housed with standing's day gecko?

How old is the frog and how big of an enclosure? Actually if your frog sees something they think is food they will try to eat it during the day. I saw a video on YouTube about it but if you have seen a real adult whites tree frog then you know how big they really are. I have also seen a tree frog eat a snake on YouTube. Because it's a whites tree frog it would be a bad idea. I have a mixed species tank and a straight up whites tree frog tank. If you need some compatible tank mates small fish and the cousin the white lipped tree frog. The two are related. Other than that no I think it's bad because a whites tree frog is a dominant competitor for food because it can eat bigger items faster then the gecko. I keep Skinks with toads and you have to be ready to give a tank of frogs and Lizards a lot of care. It sounds simple and some species can work together but I don't believe this would be a good idea. If you have more questions I would be willing to help you. I actually keep lizards and toads so while others have theories about this topic I actually have a setup that I can share my experience with. I also have owned a female whites for 4 years in August.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

The tree frog is over 3 years old, so he is fully grown. The tank is an 18 by 18 by 24 exo terra.

I also might add that my frog doesn't actually attack everything that moves like most whites tree frogs, in fact he will only eat small to medium crickets, and refuses food from tweezers. I tried giving a superworm to him once and he refused it, I ended up loosing it in the enclosure and it turned into a beetle, which lived in the tank for over 2 years, and the frog completely ignored it. My day gecko doesn't actually like crickets anyways, and eats mostly pangea so I don't run the risk of competition between the two. I know that whites tree frogs generally aren't good tank mates, but I think mine's unique and weird personality, plus his small size should be something to consider.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Your frog isn't full grown. They grow full size around 6-8 years from what reptile expos and breeders have informed me. They can still breed but arnt full adult size yet. Your frog when bigger will become more and more aggressive. There are some insects the tree frogs do not eat and maybe your frog didn't want the superworm. Your gecko if given the chance would hunt some crickets. I know it sounds like a good idea but with the White's Tree Frog it's just too risky. As for the size of the tank one tree frog at least a male would be happy in that. I think the tank would be a little small for both species. The Gecko is a bigger species and loves to move around a lot so I 55 Gallon or bigger it would have been more of a conversation. You can try it and see but I think the tree frog would limit the insects the gecko will eat. When a large tree frog is mixed with anything I think it's unfair to a lizard or terrestrial animal because the tree frog can and will outcompete the other species because they can hunt and be more proficient being able to use the when enclosure.

I heard that was only the case with females, and that males generally don't get any bigger than 3 inches. I think I'll put them both in the 30 gallon as an experiment, and if it isn't working out I'll separate them. But if it does end up working, I'll get back to you.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

To attempt this a 40-55 gallon would be better to give them at least 2 feet each to be apart.

Thread Information