Thread: My Pacman Frog: Does she have neurological issues maybe?

Default My Pacman Frog: Does she have neurological issues maybe?

Hi. I have a Cranwell's Horned Frog and she is kind of odd. I have had her for 5 or 6 months now, and ever since I got her, she hasn't really been able to catch her food very well.

It's almost like she has a neurological problem or can't react to it well.

Well fast forward to now, I have been hand feeding her crickets because if I don't she will only be able to catch one or two and I don't want to leave the crickets in there with her. I have had horrible experiences with crickets laying eggs over night and the eggs hatching and it just disgusts me.

I also tried nightcrawlers as of late, and she doesn't like them! So not only does she have a horrible time catching bugs, she's picky too apparently. She likes dubias, but only if I spend ten minutes or so wiggling it in front of her.

Lately, she's only been taking 3-4 crickets every other night. After the 3-4, she doesn't want anymore. She seems to be about the size of an adult, so that to me seems odd.

I guess I am worried because every pacman I have seen is a voracious eater. Does anybody have advice or any clue as to what's going on?

Additional Info:

Temp. - 80.2 degrees F
    Humidity - 80% as of now, but never falls below 70% - gets misted once to twice a day its pretty humid here naturally
    Substrate: Eco Earth
    Size: About 5 inches around?
    Heat source: UTH
    UVB: 5.0 ZooMed reptisun bulb

*she poops about once a week*

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: My Pacman Frog: Does she have neurological issues maybe?

Where did you get her? Have you purchased healthy animals there before? It's possible that she has some sort of parasite or injury. Any visible damage/lethargy? From what you said she is pretty healthy, maybe she's just special! What size is her tank?

4. This member thanks BossFrog for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by BossFrog View Post
    Where did you get her? Have you purchased healthy animals there before? It's possible that she has some sort of parasite or injury. Any visible damage/lethargy? From what you said she is pretty healthy, maybe she's just special! What size is her tank?
    I got her from the pet store I work at, so I know she was healthy and fine before I got her. She was only there about a month before I scooped her up.

She never had any injury and she is captive bred so I don't think she has got any parasites either.

She does do this weird thing in between feedings where her eyes will be a little sunken in and sometimes even cloud over. I don't know if this is normal? But I clean her cage out every couple of weeks and change her water out everyday.

I've heard sunken eyes and clouded eyes can be a result of toxic-out syndrome. But the thing is, once I spray her with water and/or give her crickets, she brightens up and her pupils and everything is completely fine.

She is in a critter keeper right now - I know not the best container for her size, but I am currently in the works of setting up her 15 G tank. She was a baby when I got her and she's nearly tripled in size. I honestly don't believe it is the cause of her slight issues.

I got her at the pet store I currently work at. She was healthy there and still is, I made sure of it seeing as I take care of the animals for the most part.

I don't think any parasites have been in her and I see no injuries either.

The only thing she does that is weird is sometimes in between feedings she will have sunken and cloudy eyes.

I have read that this might be a symptom of toxic-out syndrome, but I change her tank bedding out once every few weeks, clean her poop out immediately, and change her water daily.

She is in a large critter keeper - I know not the best size tank for her - I am in the works of setting up her 15 G tank with a filtered pond area. She was a baby when I got her, but has nearly tripled in size. In any case, I don't think this is the cause of her being a little slow on catching crickets/having an appetite.

are my replies not working? I can't see them *edit nevermind I see this reply now but not the ones I previously typed up. Weird.*

I got her at the pet store I work at. I take care of the animals there for the most part, so I am sure she was healthy when I got her. I don't think she has parasites and I don't see any signs of injury.

The only thing she does that is weird is sometimes she will have sunken and cloudy eyes in between feedings.

I have read that this is a symptom of toxic-out syndrome, but after I spray her or as soon as she starts eating, she's fine! Bright pupils, alertness, readiness.

She's just a little slow to grab and recognize prey I guess.

She is in a large critter keeper - I know not the best cage for her size - but I am in the works of updating her to a 15 G with a shallow filtered pond area for her. I don't think that this is the cause of her "problems" though because I change it out every few weeks and change her water out every day. I always ensure her poop is immediately removed as well.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Pico View Post
    Hi. I have a Cranwell's Horned Frog and she is kind of odd. I have had her for 5 or 6 months now, and ever since I got her, she hasn't really been able to catch her food very well.

It's almost like she has a neurological problem or can't react to it well.

Well fast forward to now, I have been hand feeding her crickets because if I don't she will only be able to catch one or two and I don't want to leave the crickets in there with her. I have had horrible experiences with crickets laying eggs over night and the eggs hatching and it just disgusts me.

I also tried nightcrawlers as of late, and she doesn't like them! So not only does she have a horrible time catching bugs, she's picky too apparently. She likes dubias, but only if I spend ten minutes or so wiggling it in front of her.

Lately, she's only been taking 3-4 crickets every other night. After the 3-4, she doesn't want anymore. She seems to be about the size of an adult, so that to me seems odd.

I guess I am worried because every pacman I have seen is a voracious eater. Does anybody have advice or any clue as to what's going on?

Additional Info:

Temp. - 80.2 degrees F
    Humidity - 80% as of now, but never falls below 70% - gets misted once to twice a day its pretty humid here naturally
    Substrate: Eco Earth
    Size: About 5 inches around?
    Heat source: UTH
    UVB: 5.0 ZooMed reptisun bulb

*she poops about once a week*
    Do you de-chlorinate the frogs water?

Thread Information