Thread: Correct Pacman frog temperature?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Nationality
    [United States]

Talking Correct Pacman frog temperature?

Hello! I am new to here & I hope I am using this correctly, haha! I'm just going to jump right in. I have seen similar questions to this on this forum, but I want to add a few more details.

After doing research, I decided yesterday to purchase my first Pacman frog! I have hermit crabs & turtles, so why not add a frog to the mix? With my turtle & hermit crabs, I keep them pretty toasty during the day underneath a heat lamp, which works fine for them. However, I am not so sure about my frog, as their skin is much different from what I am used to. I asked the breeders at the expo, where I purchased my frog from, what type of heat source to use. They asked me what I kept my house temperatures at, & where I have hermit crabs, I keep my entire home around 75 degrees Fahrenheit at all times. (When summer actually hits, I'm sure I'll keep it around 3-4 degrees warmer than this.) They told me that with that temperature, I would not need an additional heat source. That was a relief, but because I am paranoid about my little addition getting cold, I wanted to see what you guys thought!

Is my temperature okay, or do I need to purchase a heating mat? I've tried heating mats in the past, but was never really a fan for my hermit crabs or turtle. I have an extra heating lamp sitting around, but where my frog is albino, I am just wondering if the lamp would harm her.... (Does that even make a difference? Sorry if that sounds silly!) Also, I'm uneasy about using a lamp around a frog because, like I mentioned, this is my first one, & although I did my research beforehand, it's a little different now that I actually have her. I just don't want her to get too cold OR too hot, so if I could get some advice on what I should use, that would be great! Thanks a bunch!

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Correct Pacman frog temperature?

so the common temps for a Pacman frog is 75-80 you wanna hit that sweet 80 so the lil guy can process his food thru him better. what type of heat lamp and bulb is it i recommend a infered one because it is a color that cant see i believe and for watts depends on the size of the terrarium you have.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you very much! I appreciate the advice! Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have my frog in a smaller plastic enclosure for the time being (I'd say around 5 gal) because I've read that babies do better in smaller ones just starting off. I do have an infrared bulb, but it is 50 watts, & I wasn't sure if that was too high or I should go smaller... I also need to purchase a large stand for my heat lamp. Thanks again!

Nationality
    [United States]

Be very careful with a plastic container because you could have issues with heating and another note watch your temp in summer if you get to warm in the cage you can harm your frog. i use a 40 watt blub on my ten gallons but i think you could use a 50 watt if you make sure to mist enough to not dry out the cage and always have fresh safe water for your frog. Glad i was able to help.

Thread Information